1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trolls Among Us -- NYT Magazine piece

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Unless I missed other references, the author simply quotes the troll as calling himself normal.

Fortuny calls himself “a normal person who does insane things on the Internet,” and the scene at dinner later on the first day we spent together was exceedingly normal, with Fortuny, his roommate Charles and his longtime friend Zach trading stories at a sushi restaurant nearby over sake and happy-hour gyoza. Fortuny flirted with our waitress, showing her a cellphone picture of his cat. “He commands you to kill!” he cackled. “Do you know how many I’ve killed at his command?” Everyone laughed.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think I interact on here as I would in real life. At work, I have to sometimes stop myself from saying something that I said on here, for non-self-outing sake. Someone who talks on a message board only in character, not as him/herself, that's a bit odd.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't think I act here as I do in real life... I just come here to goof off and have some fun.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pics or GTFO.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I act pretty much the same here as I do anywhere else. Although, there are those few occasions I have here when I let my modesty fly out the window.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

While reading that story, I had the strong urge to punch those smug bastards in the face -- and they weren't even trolling me!

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Just what we need, another internet message board tough guy...

:)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think some analog trolling would be appropriate.

Put a bag of burning dog poop on their front doorstep, maybe key their car or put toilet paper in their trees.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The trolls we have here are either clueless or just garden variety assholes taking advantage of anonymity. The people in that story are truly malevolent bastards.

DD, what's interesting about your post is that the same phenomenon is the reason people like this exist. They have a little subculture of people who give them positive feedback and tell them how awesome it was when they started that site about the dead girl, and it provides the kind of encouragement they don't get in the real world. In the real world, they're maladjusted, socially inept losers. But online they've found a place they can be cool.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

It's a shame the trolls on here lack the self-awareness to admit they're trolls and lend a troll's perspective to this thread. Would make it infinitely more interesting.

It plays off what AB is saying - the trolls in the article aren't the sort of posters you run into on an average message board whom most of us would classify as trolls. Maybe the people who ruin threads here are better classified as idiots - at least they're not going out of their way to cause seizures in epileptics.

11. I'm going to go with "Garden Variety Assholes" Arnold.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't even think the people here are trolls. The NYT piece...now those guys are trolls.

Draft saved Draft deleted