1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Triple Crown, part II: Preakness Stakes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 13, 2010.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

WinStar Stables does own Super Saver and Pletcher trained four different horses in the Derby.

I'm rooting for Super Saver. I'm ready for another Triple Crown winner.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Like the 12 to win this thing.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No Triple Crown this year.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cue the headlines with "Lucky 7"

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

last time I'll take SportsJournalists.com nation's picks.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Did I miss it or did NBC not show prices before signing off? That drives me nuts.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pletcher, as Wenders pointed out, had four in the Derby. I have no problem with that. But once his Derby horse wins, setting up a potential run for the Triple Crown, it seems like he should get his other colts out of the way.

With the amount of money at stake for a Triple Crown winner, how pissed would an owner be if a horse trained by his guy prevents his colt from winning the second or third leg? I know I'd be upset to see a guy who I'm paying a shitload of money help another horse stop my colt from winning the Triple Crown and costing me millions.

Nevermind the possible chicanery a trainer could pull by having multiple horses.

I know that all the owners know what they're getting into with the big-time trainers, but it just seems to me that after the Derby, a trainer should limit himself to that one horse.

8. KP

KP Active Member

They had them. I forget what they were but they definately had them.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Possibly the worst shot in all of sports is the millionare douchbag winning (or buying) something else.

They need to run a horse race where the owners of the horses cannot have a net worth more than $200,000. Get these cake eaters out of here.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Didn't they used to couple the horses owned and/or trained by the same guy? If they did, when did they stop doing that for the Triple Crown?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's called Elmer's Derby.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Late--running middle-distance horse. Not ideal for the TC. Post didn't help him, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted