1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trib - save those paper clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fixed.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Count me in. Mrs. Williams is fired up about this idea, too. She's not even in the business but sees this guy as an insulting weasel who, at 61, has obvious, er, shortcomings he's trying to overcompensate for by driving those ridiculous exoticars.

Wish I could send a thumb tack or better yet an old-fashioned copy spike for this bastard to sit and spin on in his perforated-leather bucket seat.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At the mother ship? Point well taken.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

My favorite part of that whole deal is that they're trimming from 35,000 products available to just 1,000. What the hell was available to Tribune staffers? Four-hole punches? "HELLO MY NAME IS" tags? 11-by-14 post-its?

Supply closet in the office I work in is always stocked randomly -- no reporters' notebooks, but plenty of 8.5-by-14 legal pads; no pens, but plenty of highlighters.

Here's hoping Staples has a big ad in the Sunday Trib.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would be fun to do a whole interview taking notes with a pink highlighter on a legal pad, though.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm mailing mine today!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At my first internship, when we went through orientation, we were told that interns were not allowed under any circumstances to use anything in the supply closet.

I told that to the writer who is supervising me and he took my bag, walked over to the supply closet and filled it with enough notebooks, pens and batteries to last me for about five years...

8. Joe Williams

Sounds like a cool guy. Has he been bought out or laid off yet?

9. Joe Williams

Wouldn't this be about the time for Mike Downey to re-retire and resume living off the Dean Martin family money or even off of old earnings -- since he has been living off old glory as a columnist? Nice guy who has lost several mph off his fastball. His salary probably could save the equivalent of four or five working stiffs' jobs.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dean Martin family money? Edu-ma-cate me please.

11. Joe Williams

Married one of Dino's daughters. During his L.A. heyday, I presume.

From a Fred Mitchell column on May 26, 2008:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-27-mitchellmay27column,1,5795191.column

Local attractions
    Gail Martin, the daughter of Hollywood icon Dean Martin and the wife of Tribune sports columnist Mike Downey, sang "God Bless America" before the start of Monday's game at Wrigley Field.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I hate to tell everybody this, but all those single paper clips in envelopes just might get flagged and stopped in the mail room before they ever got to any publisher, editor or corporate official.

Ever since the anthrax-mail deaths of 2001, I believe, and in the wake of other white-powder scares at media outlets on various occasions since then, Tribune papers have enforced pretty strict mail inspections and taken extra precautions with suspicious packages.

Numerous envelopes with nothing but little pieces of metal in them just might qualify as such -- particularly given that everyone must be aware of the deteriorating morale, the ongoing and increasing toxicity at work, the prevailing us-against-them mentality and the somewhat desperate economic climate.

Draft saved Draft deleted