1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Travel Thread - 2022 edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sgreenwell, Mar 27, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It looks like the last one we had, about Cosmo's trip to Boston and some other things, was last posted in around October 2021. So, figured I might as well make a new one, especially since I'm looking for recommendations in a completely opposite area.

The wife and I have a trip planned to Denver for April 13 through April 17. Outside of catching a Rockies' game, we don't have a strict itinerary or anything. Things we like - craft beer and breweries, unique non-chain restaurants, good regional chains, hikes that are less than 5 miles total, museums. We will have a car, and budget isn't a huge concern. Any recommendations are appreciated, which would also include whether there's a cool hotel or place to stay in the area.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Cool. Welcome. Hope this doesn't get too long and feel free to reach out in a PM.

Rockies

They are playing the Cubs that weekend so expect big crowds and expensive (but still reasonable) tickets.

Breweries

We have lots of them. Lots to the north of downtown in RiNo. Almost empty in downtown so you'll have to branch out, but having a car will help.

Hotels

Lots of places in downtown, but if you're looking for something unique, there's the Monaco and the Brown Palace.

Food

Depends what you are up for. Lots of places along the 16th Street Mall (walking pedestrian mall). Mexican food is good here. For tacos, I'd hit up El Taco de Mexico on Santa Fe. If you want regional chain, there's Santiago's. Green chile. We're a cow town so we've got lots of steak places. There's an Elway's downtown. If you want old school/1950s vibe, there's Bastien's on East Colfax. For Thai, there's Tommy's on East Colfax. Sandwiches, we've got Snarfs and Cheba Hut.

Hikes

Yup. Tons and tons of them to the west. Check out Jefferson County Open Space.

Open Space | Jefferson County, CO

And Boulder County Open Space.

Parks & Open Space

If you go on Saturday or Sunday, expect big crowds.

Favorites: Chautauqua Park in Boulder, Green Mountain in Lakewood, North Table Mountain in Golden, South Table Mountain in Golden, Elk Meadow Park in Evergreen, O'Fallon Park in Kittredge. You can't go wrong and can make them as long and short as you want.

Destinations

You have a car, so go out during the day to see Red Rocks. You can drive up there, park for free, come in at the top. Watch the exercise freaks running the steps. You're here Easter weekend, so weather permitting, there will be a sunrise service on Sunday if you're into that.

Go west on I-70 toward Evergreen. If you're lucky, the bison might be out in the pasture at the top at Genesee. Great for photos. If you go to Elk Meadow Park to hike, then drop down into Evergreen. Nice mountain town nestled against a large lake. Good breweries up there and outdoor seating. You can keep going west on I-70 about 45 minutes west of downtown and see Idaho Springs. Nice little town with a cool brewery (Tommy Knockers). The gambling towns are about 20 minutes from Idaho Springs, Central City and Black Hawk. Full-on gambling. Central City is an old mining town. Black Hawk is much more built out and modern. Nice drive back into the city through Clear Creek Canyon with a stop in Golden along the way.

Boulder is a nice place to hike and breweries (Southern Sun is a favorite).

In Denver, I'm not an arts guy, but there's the Denver Art Museum. I'm a big fan of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. The Denver Zoo is a very good stop as well.

Far out drives

If you just want to drive in the mountains for the scenery, highly recommended. A drive up to Estes Park. Getting into Rocky Mountain National Park could get crowded. Fort Collins is a fun town. If you want to go south, Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs has lots of hiking opportunities. Peak-to-Peak Highway through the gambling towns, up to Nederland and down into Boulder is gorgeous. Also, we've got nearby state parks: Eldorado Canyon (though closed right now because of a fire), Golden Gate.

Also

It's April. So pack accordingly. It could be 80 to 85 .... or it could snow. On the same day.

Downtown has changed a lot in the past couple of years. Crime is way up (shootings, stabbings, robberies). We have a homelessness problem. So be careful.

And, yes, we're a Mile High So drink lots and lots and lots of water. Don't know where you're coming in from, but the altitude gets a lot of folks. Stay hydrated by having a water bottle and just drinking water (and the great craft beers).

Enjoy. And, again, reach out with any questions.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for all the recommendations @MileHigh! Much appreciated. Running them by the wife, since we'll need to book the hotel first most of all.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Brown Palace is one of my favorite hotels in this country. Try for it.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Speaking of travel, it's been 24 hours since this whiteout hit I-81 in Pennsylvania's Schuylkill County, and it will be another 6-8 hours before it reopens. Watch the video with the audio on.

It collected more than 100 vehicles. Five dead, 20+ hospitalized.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Absolutely terrifying. Guy in the silver SUV did a great job not hitting anyone, and the guy standing by the car that got clocked is lucky as hell he still breathing.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A colleague who lives five miles from that site said she was traveling southbound this morning to pick up her grandson, and although she'd seen the videos, she was stunned by the remaining carnage.

I like Pottsville a little more every time I'm up there. But it will take a lot to get me to travel that stretch in bad weather.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've planned a buddy trip (12) to Pinehurst in October. Never been to NC or the resort, any recommendations off property are much appreciated.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Grab breakfast at The Track. Haven't been since I was down there for Rules school pre-pandemic, but they only accepted cash at the time, FYI. There's a ton to do in the village and on the resort, which is good, because Pinehurst is a bit in the middle of nowhere. And definitely work the Cradle short course into the rotation one day, it's a really neat little property with a newly opened bar on site.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That sounds great! Thanks for the info and I’ll report back afterwards.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Forgot to add that since it's near downtown and it's pretty quick (I think less than an hour): A tour of the Denver Mint.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finally feel like a real resident of the Northwest. Visited Mt. St. Helens for the first time. Pretty incredible still, 40 years later. Not sure which is more impressive, the crater with the new lava dome or seeing how much nature has rebounded in that time. If you go - make sure you fill up when you exit I-5 - it's a good 150 miles round-trip to the Johnston Ridge Observatory with maybe a couple of gas stations on the way (which are very aware they have little competition).
    upload_2022-8-30_23-10-16.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted