1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Transgender Tipping Point

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 29, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I thought the transgender suicide rates were pretty high across the board, whether they have the surgery or not.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Here's the first Googler:

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0016885http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0016885

There is some other stuff that argues the opposite, but most of it is based on self-reported happiness among people who responded to surveys, and it leaves out large numbers or post-surgery people who can't be found, often because they are dead.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So you are for same sex marriage?

I am. I am also fine with transgender people having sex changes, adopting, marrying, having health care, owning land, voting...

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As I recall, YF has been a rather adamant proponent of same-sex marriage.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

YF has been one of the more steadfast same-sex marriage supporters on this board.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Scratching my head as to what "support for same sex marriage" has to do with the discussion at hand.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good God, man. Do you read my posts? I'm pretty clear in my opinions.

You've posted similar comments in the past. If you have some "smoking gun" post of mine that shows me to be a hypocrite on this issue, please post it, or kindly shut the fuck up.

I know speaking from a place of ignorance is the norm for you, but either accuse me of something, and back it up, or don't make the accusation (especially in such a passive aggressive manner).

When I call you the dumbest person on the board, I use your own posts as evidence of this opinion. I would appreciate the same respect.

8. YankeeFan

My saving grace, eh? :)

9. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Obamacare should cover gender switch surgeries.

10. YankeeFan

Backlash:

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Odd that it got quiet once money got involved.

I would be ok if health care covered 50 percent of the procedure.

12. YankeeFan

Devil, famously on middle ground.

Trans* get 50% of their surgery covered. Vegetarians get shrimp.

Draft saved Draft deleted