1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trail of Vomit Starts in Louisville, KY.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Dec 10, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jones, thanks for the invite. I was being facetious---kinda.

Probably if it wasn't the middle of winter and ten days before Xmas we'd be there in a heartbeat.

Besides, HC is singing the U.S. National Anthem at the Brampton game on Sunday. Saginaw's in town.

And then we have to drive out to friggin' Hamilton for her company's Xmas dinner.

Wait, maybe I will come. That will get me out of going to the damn dinner. :)

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

we could add some gambling north of the river

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Odd fact: I've been drunk in three of the bars Jones mentions on this thread. P.J. Clarkes is probably no surprise and El Floridita, well, I can see that happening because writers are attracted to such places, but the Subway Inn? The one Lex on and 59th? Have you been to Rudy's over on 9th Avenue, too?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm a Bardstown Road kind of guy, but I lived in Louisville 10 years ago and its since been superceded by the downtown bar area.

Bardstown is where to go for some character though. Hit the Outlook Inn, my place of choice to get fucked up. If you're downtown, it's worth a drink in the Seelbach hotel bar for some high filutin' southern feel.

And do what I never did ... grab a few at a dive bar near Churchill Downs. The fall meet is probably over, but still worth it? Maybe?

When I lived there, the bassist (?) for the Slints ran the Wild & Wooley video store, my favorite video store of all-time. Cool guy, cool store, though it moved since I was there so I don't know if it's still the same.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Clarke's is wonderful, and their burgers rock.

Subway Inn ... I don't remember too much about that stop, since we were there briefly. Except for the fact that they had cheap Yuengling.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT!

My wife continues to have nightmares of the sight.

She has yet to forgive me... or your hairy ass.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a lovely dive. Nice and dark for pleasant afternoon drinking, too. Have I mentioned it's close to the subway?

These should refresh your memory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Looks like your basic drinking joint. Almost Goose-like.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not enough joints in my part of the word that have a sign that just says "Bar". That's my kind of dive.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And you know you're not there for the food.

11. joe

joe Active Member

I'm driving 385 miles for this, which is an hour shorter than the 467 I drove to Minneapolis. I expect someone to come from at least 400 miles away. Gas prices be damned.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm 90 minutes from Louisville.

I'm in.

Jones, Joe ... I need specifics. First round's on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted