1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Touch-Screen Generation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Didn't the wheel come before fire?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You have to do laundry at some point, right?

You have to cook dinner at some point, right?

You have to make a phone call at some point, right?

During these periods, the child has to be engaged somehow. Is an iPad app a lesser option than an episode of "Wonderpets"? Than a puzzle? Than a picture book?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Ah, no. It's not an either-or thing. My 10-year-old talks to friends through a headset while he plays Xbox, and my 7-year-old knows how to FaceTime. And yet, we still are able to have actual conversations.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My approach comes from discussions with his doctors and his speech therapist. They said it's very important that he have educational "me time" for roughly half the time he's home, otherwise the constant stream of instruction will start to overload him and he'll tune out.

Not to mention, it's pretty rare that he actually sits by himself. He's big on grabbing your finger and trying to get you to play it with him. Maybe not all toddlers are that way, but that's how it works for me.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What about engaging themselves in pretend play? Pretend play is proven to increase empathy. Increased empathy is proven to enhance self-control. Self-control is proven to increase test scores, income as an adult, productivity... all the good stuff. Intelligence has much less of a correlation to all those good things.

I actually don't believe it's an all-or-nothing. Both my kids play with the iPad, iPhone, etc. Every kid I know who has access to an iPad knows how to use it, and well.

My daughter's 1st grade teacher tells me she's seeing mean girl behavior start earlier and earlier. She's having to teach compassion in the classroom because the kids aren't getting it at home. Apparently, there's NOT an app for that.

You know what, guys? I know I sound like an asshole. I'm doing that on purpose. Some of you need reeling in on this shit, and you know it.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't even own an iPad. Or a video game console.

I'm actually asking the questions because I seek answers.

7. Are you saying parents were more compassionate before technology?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fire predates the wheel by quite a bit.

archaeology.about.com/od/ancientdailylife/qt/fire_control.htm

listverse.com/2007/10/07/top-10-ancient-inventions/

www.historicaltimeline.com/ht_inventions.htm

www.explainthatstuff.com/timeline.html

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thanks. I would have kicked ass at caveman shit if they didn't kill and eat me first.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what's the best we've done since then?

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The downfall began with hair bands, although a case could be made for disco, which predates hair bands.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You don't sound like an asshole. You sound like a person making stuff up based on feelings and anecdotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted