1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Touch-Screen Generation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Those were Dick Whitman's arguments. They are broad generalizations, and they are logically incompatible.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

preach. cause video games have a collective brain and are hellbent to destroy college kids and college kids only.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

People wonder why bullying is such a problem, mean girl behavior is rampant and rape sympathizers seem to be coming out everywhere.

Empathy is on the decline.

Our brains are changing, and not necessarily for the better.

I know I feel the time spend looking one another in the eyes slipping away. Think about what that means for our kids.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Bullying is less of a problem than ever, girls are nicer than ever, and rape sympathy is at an all-time low.

Just because we're noticing problems doesn't mean they've gotten worse.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Anybody have any evidence to back up either position here?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've been reading "Sticks and Stones," Emily Bazelon's new book about bullying. She essentially says that bullying isn't necessarily on the rise, but does feel that it is a significant development that kids can't go home and escape from it, because of the Internet.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Wish I did.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can still see myself winning dorm floor glory based on mastering "The Move" from Yzerman, Federov and occasionally Keith Primeau from NHL93 on Sega.

Less costly than a coke habit but more time consuming.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sorry. Attention spans in the classroom. Or reading. Non-interactive settings, essentially.

10. Eve ruined everything because she had to eat a piece of fruit.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, I think only back to the wheel.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Giving your kid the iPad for an hour or so while you ______ is the easy way out. "It's educational," you tell yourself. Easy peasy.

Sitting on the floor playing with your child for an hour or sitting at the table engaging your child in conversation for an hour is hard.

When parenting starts to feel easy, you're not doing it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted