1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Torture Poll

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Nov 8, 2007.

?

lets take a vote, what do you think about torture

1. Always Wrong, in Every Single Possible Circumstance

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Almost always wrong, but there can be limited, selected and rare exceptions

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. A Bad but useful tactic in some circumstances

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. A tool in the arsenal against terrorism and during war time

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Can be used, without qualification, when needed

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Torture, according to international law, is "any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity." Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, United Nations, 10 December 1984.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I have no problem with torture so long as that person is darker-skinned than I am.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think forcing prisoners to watch 2girls1cup would definitely make them have bad thoughts and get their day off to a less-than-sunshiny start.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The problem with your poll is that you don't have a selection for use by consenting adults.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't think that's my problem ;)

6. writing irish

Silly AYA! If the person has darker skin, it isn't really "torture."

7. You also forgot:

-A useful tool for limp dick losers who have to project their lack of toughness onto others.

8. writing irish

Someone's been snooping in our marketing profiling strategies! [/hummer]
    [​IMG]

9. It's always about Clinton isn't it? No matter what, it always comes back to him. Pathetic. It's 2007.

EDIT: Hey what happened to Mr. Abbot's post. Now I have a Hummer-Clinton connection, which, of course, makes no sense.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Anything the Spanish Inquisition used is fine with me.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For the record, I am 100 percent against torture.

Now, outsourced aggressive interrogation conducted against suspects in secret foreign prisons? Hey, that's aces with me.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The three "limited, selected and rare exceptions" I can think of for now:

- on a rapist who is holding his/her battered victim(s) hostage in a hidden location.. to find out where the hostage(s) is/are
    - on a child molester who is keeping his/her victims in a hidden location .. to find out that location
    - on a child molester for five minutes, administered by the parents of his/her victims

eliminate those possibilities and torture is wrong in every possible circumstance

Draft saved Draft deleted