1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The top radio talk-show hosts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.talkers.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=44">Talkers Magazine has its list of the top 100 talk-show hosts.</a> No surprise that Rush Limbaugh is No. 1.

What's interesting is which sports talk-show hosts are on the lists and who aren't.

Sports shows (or shows by sports columnists) in the top 100:
    • 29. Jim Rome
    • 42. Mike & the Mad Dog
    • 47. Mike & Mike
    • 60. Mitch Albom (WJR in Detroit)
    • 63. Boomer & Carton- WFAN in New York
    • 91. Glenn Ordway- WEEI in Boston

Glad to see Colin Cowherd DIDN'T make the list. He did make the list of the best of the rest sports talk-show hosts, along with:

Among the non-sports shows in the top 100, one I've used to love (which doesn't air in my market) is Bob and Tom. Hilarious comedy show.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Opie and Anthony, who can't keep ANY of their free radio markets, is at 17? This confirms what others have said about this list. It's more garbage than legit. And Joe Madison on WOL? I've never HEARD of Joe Madison and there's no reason for that.

Also, Bill Handel at 19 is underrated. If you ask me, the Handel in the Morning is the very best talk show on radio. Of any genre. He's absolutely fantastic. John and Ken are also very good. Very, very good.

The Junkies at 100? Pathetic list. They're terrible.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Junkies are money.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Howard Stern shouldn't be just one spot ahead of Mancow, even though I agree with Mancow a lot more. And no Click and Clack (Tom and Ray) in the top 100? FAIL

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Mancow is a fucking fraud and a hypocrite. All of a sudden, he's found Jesus and risque material has no place on the airwaves, as he goes on Fox News Channel now and then to preach.
    Have fun on your 3 5,000-watt stations in Podunk, douchebag.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ha, they wish. True story, they (at least two of them), Kathy Lee Gifford, and myself, all grew up in the same town. I'm not sure what that kind of company says about me.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Huh. I guess I meant I agreed, in the past tense, because I had no idea he had done that. Maybe I'd still agree with him and all, but I don't think I've heard this new Mancow. Anyway, still a fail list with no Click and Clack.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

The new Mancow is a fake. And that's why he is on basically no stations. He can't even get cleared in Chicago. And the only Top 10 market he's in? San Fran, on a 5,000-watt station from 3-6AM. It's not even live.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

George Noory is only No. 26? I like to scan the airwaves from time to time, late at night, just to see what I can pick up. Did it in my car a couple months back and every friggin' AM station I could find had his show on it. Must've been 10 or 15 stations, from a pretty wide geographical area and including some big stations (San Antonio and New Orleans, to name two). I'd have figured the dude was a titan.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Funny this subject should come up. For no reason whatsoever, I was just thinking yesterday about how awful sports talk radio in general is. I used to listen all the time, but the more I do, the less I like it. Now, there are only two sports talk shows I can bring myself to listyen to for more than 15 seconds without flipping the dial, and I live in a market with two all-sports stations. The two I listen to, BTW, are local. I can't stand any of the national guys that air here (as well as the other locals).

The reality is, there is no best. They all suck.

11. I would say The Dan Patrick show when he was on ESPN Radio

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I do not disagree. But Mancow? He's a little bit hurrrrting. Big, big O&A fan. One of the few reasons I keep paying XM every month.

Draft saved Draft deleted