1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tony Awards - nominations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 5, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cool.

The Queen was afraid she'd be one of the one's they just grabbed and drug up there (and I was encouraging them to drag her up there).

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I assume they make you get nude, in honor of the first-act finale.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

My sister wanted no part of going on stage but the two 18-year-olds thought it was great

4. Jerry Bonkowski

Jerry Bonkowski New Member

I saw Rock of Ages off-Broadway in December. It actually surprised me how good it was. Sure, it featured tons of hair-band music from the 80s, but it actually had a credible storyline -- wannabe rock star boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl break-up, boy and girl reunite and spend the rest of their lives in suburban bliss in the San Fernando Valley. It wouldn't have been nominated for five Tonys if it wasn't good. And, from what I hear, it's moving up to on-Broadway pretty soon, not to mention will start touring after that.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical

David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, and Kiril Kulish, Billy Elliot, The Musical
    Gavin Creel, Hair
    Brian d’Arcy James, Shrek The Musical
    Constantine Maroulis, Rock of Ages
    J. Robert Spencer, Next to Normal

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

BYH will never find this out, because he will never click on a Tony Awards thread. So he's going to miss out on the soundtrack to Rock of Ages, which comes out next month. But would he accept Sister Christian sung by Constantine Maroulis??

[​IMG]

1. Just Like Paradise / Nothin' But A Good Time (Rock Of Ages Full Company)
    2. Sister Christian (James Carpinello, Michele Mais, Constantine Maroulis, Amy Spanger & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    3. We Built This City / Too Much Time On My Hands (Paul Schoeffler, Lauren Molina, Wesley Taylor, Andre Ward, Adam Dannheisser, Mitchell Jarvis, Constantine Maroulis, James Carpinello & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    4. I Wanna Rock (Constantine Maroulis, Amy Spanger & Ensemble)
    5. We're Not Gonna Take It (Lauren Molina, Jeremy Wood, Savannah Wise & Ensemble)
    6. Heaven / More Than Words / To Be With You (Amy Spanger, Constantine Maroulis, Savannah Wise & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    7. Waiting For A Girl Like You (Constantine Maroulis, Amy Spanger, James Carpinello & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    8. Wanted Dead Or Alive (James Carpinello, Amy Spanger & Ensemble)
    9. I Want To Know What Love Is James Carpinello, Amy Spanger, Constantine Maroulis & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    10. Cum On Feel The Noize / We're Not Gonna Take It - Reprise (James Carpinello, Constantine Maroulis, Adam Dannheiser, Amy Spanger, Mitchell Jarvis, Lauren Molina, Andre Ward & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    11. Harden My Heart / Shadows Of The Night (Amy Spanger, Michael Mais, Mitchell Jarvis & Ensemble)
    12. Here I Go Again (Rock Of Ages Full Company)
    13. The Final Countdown (Paul Schoeffler, Wesley Taylor, Adam Dannheisser, Mitchell Jarvis, Lauren Molina & Ensemble)
    14. Any Way You Want It / I Wanna Rock - Reprise (Michele Mais, Constantine Maroulis, Amy Spanger, Andre Ward, Mitchell Jarvis, Adam Dannheisser & Ensemble)
    15. High Enough (Constantine Maroulis, Amy Spanger & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    16. I Hate Myself For Loving You / Heat Of The Moment (Amy Spanger, James Carpinello, Constantine Maroulis & Ensemble)
    17. Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Wesley Taylor, Lauren Molina, Paul Schoeffler & Ensemble)
    18. Can't Fight This Feeling (Adam Dannheisser, Mitchell Jarvis & Ensemble)
    19. Every Rose Has Its Thorn (Michele Mais, Amy Spanger, Constantine Maroulis, Wesley Taylor, Paul Schoeffler, James Carpinello & The Rock Of Ages Cast)
    20. Oh Sherrie (Constantine Maroulis, Amy Spanger & The Rock Of Ages Cast)

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If this was on a Broadway message board, you'd be ripped for calling it a "soundtrack."

It's a "cast recording," either an "Original Cast Recording" if it started off-Broadway or a "Original Broadway Cast Recording" if there was an OCR and now an OBCR.

They somehow get very touchy about this.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Knew after I typed it that it wasn't exactly accurate; didn't care enough to backspace. Mostly because on the musical's own website they call it an ALBUM when it's really a CD!!

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

How the fuck can they call it Rock of Ages and have NO Def Lep songs on the CD? Loosers! Frauds! Fakes!

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Don't forget Mel Brooks. :p

Rodgers and Hamlisch are the two heavy-weights and I was also surprised to see Audrey Hepburn on the list.

Haven't seen Billy Elliott, but you know the music's gotta be good because Sir Elton wrote it.

And out of curiosity, I'm going to have to go looking for that Rock of Ages OCR.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a little buzz now that Rock of Ages will pull off the upset, much like Avenue Q over Wicked in 2004.

Avenue Q's slogan after that? Avenue Q - it's Wicked good.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This seems like the perfect thread for this ...

Draft saved Draft deleted