1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tonight Show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mark2010, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Didn't see this anywhere else, so I'll start a thread here....

Why on earth is NBC dumping Jay Leno on The Tonight Show?

Replacing him with Jimmy Fallon, who, well, isn't much. What's the logic behind that.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The people who run NBC are spectacularly stupid. Every few years they feel the need to remind people.

I think Fallon's pretty good and a better fit than Conan ever would have been, but there's still no point to this at all.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I give Fallon even less time than Conan. When I did watch late night, I preferred Dave and Craig anyway.

4. Personally, I don't find what Leno has become to be funny. But I've watched parts of the last two shows and quite enjoyed them.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I really don't think any of these guys --- Leno, David Letterman, Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien, whoever --- are all that funny. I'm just curious why NBC would dump Leno at this point.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't watch Fallon's show, or really any late night show other than Conan once in a while, but everything I've heard is he's quite good and has really grown into the role. No idea if he'll be like Conan, where the humor doesn't translate as well to the earlier slot, or slip in and have a smoother transition.
    And is Leno being forced out? Or is he actually retiring on his own this time?

One other thought ... Conan's Tonight Show run was a fiasco, but his last two weeks were absolutely spectacular.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wow. They just ran a promo for Fallon taking over. Started with the introduction of Johnny Carson, segued into the introduction of Leno, and then on to Fallon. Looks like they just forgot about that 6-foot-4 ginger who held the gig for the better part of a year.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

First, Leno's last monologue got me. That was real, and it was heartfelt.

Fallon ... those who haven't checked in on the show on occasion, or at least watched some of the highlight stuff, may not realize just how talented this guy is. He's done some musical bits on Late Night that just blew me away, like "Whip My Hair" with Springsteen.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup. I was Team Coco the entire way, and I thought NBC treated him horribly because Leno wanted to come back. Conan really gets the raw deal here, but Fallon is pretty darn funny. And here's what I like about him: He can pretty much get any celebrity to do anything. As mentioned, Springteen singing a pop song in his 1970s get up, or Tom Hanks providing slam poetry on the subject of "Full House."

Fallon will be fine.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seinfeld is probably working to get Leno to do Letterman's show ASAP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/business/media/the-ballad-of-leno-and-letterman-told-by-seinfeld.html

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

While some believe a reliance on cameos is a sign of weakness -- SNL takes a lot of heat for that -- Fallon's use of them has been ground-breaking. He's pushed the envelope on getting celebs to laugh at themselves.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fallon's enthusiasm has brought his show a long way. And the reason NBC won't dump Fallon is that Lorne Michaels is producing the show (and the Late Night with Seth Meyers thing) - they won't want to piss him off. I don't know why "now" as opposed to two years from now.

Leno's farewell was well done.

Fallon was just as good.

(Coming out of a break) "So it's Jay Leno's last show.tonight, that's a bummer.. I like that guy. I mean.... in a way it's good for me...but.....

Draft saved Draft deleted