1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Tom Coughlin video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, celebrations for regular season games are overdone. Wild celebrations after routine catches or tackles are overdone. We live in a culture where mere achievement is celebrated. Pizza and snow cones for everyone!

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is not the equivalent. The equivalent would be a celebration after a game-winning field goal or last-second touchdown. Those happen in football and no one bats an eye.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

God forbid the participants in popular entertainment look like they're enjoying themselves. Sports is about manly discipline, damn it!!

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When the paper is put to bed, does anyone pour Gatorade over the SE's head or carry him/her on your shoulders?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You don't think it was over the top? Even a little? Picking up your coach after a regular-season win?

I have no problem with celebrating, but that video made me cringe.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

BFD. It's their win, they (I assume) put in the work to win it, why not celebrate... in their locker room? I can't imagine who would have a problem with a team celebrating a last second win, where they drove the length of the field in a minute something, to beat America's Team.

This board never fails to amaze me.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Tim Tebow approves.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If they carried him off the field after the game, that would be over the top. Picking him up in the locker room for 4 seconds is not a big deal. This is Tom Coughlin, the boogie-man, the anti player's-coach. Objectively speaking, the Giants have been crushed by injuries, yet they are 6-2. They lose their RB, WR and center on offense. Are without the #1 CB, #1 draft pick (CB), MLB, and their pro bowl ends haven't been on the field together for half the season. They earned this celebration, on-the-road, against Jesus and his Father.

Hey Brady, 18-1, suck it diva.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What kind of comparison is that?

10. beanpole

beanpole Member

Nothing wrong with this. When I read the description, I first thought the video would show an on-field celebration and the players carrying Coughlin off the field.

This was a team celebrating a big win in their own dressing room, against a team that rarely loses on its home field during the regular season. May be a turning point for the Giants' season, so why not celebrate it?

I'm guessing the team and coach prays after every win. And Coughlin reminded his team to be humble and give the Patriots their due during interviews, so I think there's nothing to complain about.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with 'Yab ... it's not like they carried him off the field. They did it all in their locker room where they were (rightfully) enjoying a big comeback victory.

This confuses me.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I'll tell you what sucks: Celebrating the assistant features editor for writing a story once every few months.

Draft saved Draft deleted