1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Tom Coughlin video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Nov 7, 2011.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

No, not that kind.
    But this was hilarious watching the Giants celebrate their win over the Patriots as if it were February of 2008. Bopping, dancing, chanting, then Coughlin gets lifted atop shoulders. It was definitely a different side of him. And then everyone drops to one knee and starts to pray ...

Please move this to the NFL thread if that's where it best belongs. But I have a hunch the video's release could come back to haunt the Giants. They were very humble with their post-game comments, if that matters.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-giants/09000d5d823dcaf2/Giants-celebrate-comeback-win-vs-Patriots

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm a Giants fan but they're a real bi-polar team. Lethargic amd self-sabotaging one minute, supremely confident the next.

This is just them at the peak of their manic phase ("Hey, we've got whole thing licked!") Come next week, the mood will swing back to being depressed, missing easy catches, staring blankly into corners, reading Sylvia Plath, etc. etc.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a big win. But I'm guessing that the Giants and Coughlin will be more than a little embarrassed that there is footage of them celebrating like they won the Super Bowl after a regular-season win.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Hey, they beat the Hood, the man who invented football and the QB who can do no wrong. Suck, it Patriots. NYG can celebrate all they want.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was a pretty dramatic and emotional victory. I see nothing wrong with celebrating it. Why should it be embarrassing? Is only a Super Bowl title worth cheering about?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought John Harbaugh getting doused with Gatorade last night was on the same level of ridiculousness as Coughlin's. It's a regular season game in the middle of the season. Act like you've been there before.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

lighten up, ffrancis. sheesh. the nfl gets ripped for being the 'no fun league' and coughlin is ripped constantly by outsiders who view him as a dictatorial maniac hated by his players. then they show the OTHER side, celebrate another huge win over the patriots to start a stretch of games EVERYONE has predicted will expose them as frauds, and you want to tell 'em, 'act like you've won before?'

hey, they didnt do this ON THE FIELD or on the patriots faces. it was THEIR post-game locker room celebration. you're a dunce on this one, pal. you too, mizzoo.

i dunno what happened with the niners and the gatorade, but if they doused harbaugh at the end of the game that' certainly not unheard of, even in the regular season. heck, when the giants began the coach-dousing craze in '86 it kicked off in the regular season.

seems to me some nfl fans are the ones trying to take 'fun' out of the equation. if you're celebrating on YOUR sideline or in YOUR locker room what's the problem?

9. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Oh, come on. Big victories, both of them. That's how you celebrate a big victory.

Leave it to the media types to twist this into a Super Bowl celebration. Sheeeesh.

Can the players not have some fun in the locker room? Can they not be human?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LeBron James and Dwyane Wade don't see what the problem is.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

huh? sorry if you're so thin-skinned to think i'm being a 'dick' or a giants' homer. whatever. doesn't change for sec that you're WAY off on this one.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Asking, not arguing:

For those of you offended by the celebration, does the mob greeting the guy who hit a walk-off homer in a regular-season game bother you, also, or do you think baseball culture makes that OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted