1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Time Person of the Year is. ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like the choice of Pope Francis. Not everyday that we get a new pope.

Was thinking about this year. What was the biggest story of the year? Not too much earth-shattering stuff sticks out, compared to, say, 2012.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The pick of Francis is too early -- wait and see a couple years to see if he accomplishes any significant lasting changes other than just SAYING the right things, which for the most part he has been doing. If he does, fine -- if not, it's just yadda-yadda hot air.

BTW, anybody who suggested the dimwit teen twat Miley Cyrus should be slaughtered.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Nobel Prize Committee agrees.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? The lid was blown off a massive, all-inclusive U.S. government program of spying on enemies, friends, random citizens and their dogs (OK, so that might be going a little overboard), using some of the most used consumer services out there -- Google, Facebook, cellphone providers, etc. -- to gather information on... well, pretty much everyone.

I'm wondering what even comes close.

6. Starman

All right, I'll play, for today -- even the inclusion of BHO on the list this year was preposterous.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but think of his upside and flexibility.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So a simple "Uh, thanks, but no thanks" wouldn't suffice?

9. Starman

Nope

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But they had to pick SOMEONE for this year.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose that could be a contender. Frankly, I don't give a rats tail about that one, but maybe other folks do. Nor to I think the government shutdown was a big deal to anyone other than those who actually work for the government. It could be the health-care rollout, but I see that as a developing story whose end has yet to be written.

In 2012 we had the presidential election, superstorm Sandy, the Colorado theater shooting and the Sandy Hook school shooting (as well as a shooting at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin).

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The year that 'You' won the POY, was the cover of that issue a mirror? If not, that was a missed opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted