1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tiger Woods Pile-on Thread: Next Up, Jim Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

This story isn't dead yet?

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3212224&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

NFL Hall of Fame player Jim Brown said Thursday that Tiger Woods should have spoken out against racially insensitive remarks made by a Golf Channel anchor that led to her two-week suspension from the airwaves.

Kelly Tilghman returns to the air Thursday following a two-week suspension for saying Woods' peers should "lynch" him in a back alley as a way of challenging his dominant play.

Appearing on ESPN First Take, Brown was asked whether Woods had a responsibility to speak out on certain issues, as an African-American, including the recent GolfWeek magazine cover that depicted a noose.

"He should have come out right away. Instead, he waited until it was politically correct [to comment]," Brown said. "The word 'lynch' ... there is no redeeming part of it.

"When you say lynch, you're gonna have to pay the price. That is a very embarrassing word, a humiliating one, in the history of our country."

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There's some merit to Brown's statement, although I don't feel Tiger waited until it was "politically correct" to do so.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why do people think the ability to hit a golf ball 300 miles or gain 2,000 yards rushing in one season gives you more brain cells? Or, maybe Tiger doesn't speak out because he's not waiting breathlessly to claim victimhood status every time some idiot says something dumb.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't see it as Tiger Woods having an obligation to speak for the African-American community. He's a golfer. There are plenty of others who can and desire to fill this type of spokesperson role. Some famous people capitalize on their celebrity to be able to bring attention to statements and causes; others prefer to keep a low profile and remain in the background. That's Tiger's prerogative.

It's rather distasteful to me that because someone has attained a level of success or fame that there is an expectation they serve a role as a social arbiter and commentator. Some people don't want to do that.

It's actually refreshing to see someone not overreact and feign indignation on an issue that they really don't feel strongly about deep down inside.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tiger has a platform that he refuses to use. If it is because he doesn't really feel like speaking out or doesn't think a certain issue is worth commenting on, more power to him.

If it's to keep him from being more marketable, I'd say that's a poor tradeoff. He's a millionaire a hundred times over. I'd rather tell the handlers and sponsors to keep their checks and say what's on my mind.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What if what was on Tiger's mind was a shoulder shrug and an "Eh..."? Is it possible the statement really didn't offend Tiger all that much?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fine. And I can understand if you are some guy plugging along and a Hyundai endorsement is putting food on your table.

But at some point you are bigger than that. Why tamp down your personality? If the marketers don't like it, screw 'em.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well, he's only 25 percent black. If he spoke out against every racial slight, he'd have to combat slurs against Chinese (25 percent of his ancestry), Thais (25 percent), Indians, er, Native Americans (13.5 pecent) and Dutch (13.5 percent). He'd be a busy guy.

It amazes me that he's as much Chinese-American (both of his parents are of 25 percent Chinese ancestry) or Thai-American as African-American, but have you ever heard him called Chinese-American or Thai-American?

Don't call him any of them. Just call him mixed-race.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess I'm just not understanding your point. Is someone like Tiger under an obligation to speak his mind? If a person isn't the "speak out" kind by nature and isn't emotionally moved by the issue to speak, why is that an issue?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Maybe Tiger should weigh in assholes who toss women from balconies?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He is under no obligation. However, he and others with endorsements are under press not to be controversial. If Tiger never has any intention of being controversial or speaking his mind, fine.

But I think it's a shame that our greatest athletes often become our greatest bores so they can sell more soup or something.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The word "lynch" just isn't going to strike the same chord in a 32-year-old Californian of mixed race who has spent almost half his life in an athlete's bubble. The fact that Brown doesn't understand that doesn't make him wrong or guilty of piling on. He grew up in a completely different country in racial terms.

Draft saved Draft deleted