1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Thrill Is Gone - RIP B.B. King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 15, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Up until his health started to fade a few years ago, I believe, he did a free outdoor concert every year in Itta Bena or Indianola. One of those Delta towns. Always thought it'd be cool to go, but never had the time or realized exactly when it was. Regret not going now.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Indianola. It was his annual Homecoming Celebration. The B.B. King Museum is a great place to visit. It's in Indianola.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I had a female Facebook friend post "RIP BBC King". Hmmmmmm....

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone else picking up social media chatter that King was actually completely lame and that liking him is a sign that you know nothing about music?

It reminded me of Reacher's question about who's worse, beer snobs or music snobs.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hadn't heard that.

I love(d) the guy and his music. Granted, he may be the only blues musician many people can name, and if he is the only one you can name, you're probably not a blues aficionado, But, for many, he was an introduction to the blues, that led to further finds, and greater appreciation.

The fact that he was so well respected by other musicians makes me think the theory you mention is flawed. Blues musicians, rock and rollers, and fellow guitarists all seem to have had lot of respect for the guy as a person, and a musician/guitarist.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Watching him on the Tonight Show got this suburban white teenager into the blues in the early 80s. An absolute giant in American music history, his influence cannot be overstated. Sure he'd lost a step or two in his later years but if he had it was a step or two that most musicians never had to begin with.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You can respect the hell out of someone's talent and influence without especially liking their music, which is the way I felt about King to be completely honest.

Also, you might have seen it already, but the Clarion-Ledger's front page today was awesome:

[​IMG]

(If you can't see the fine print on your screen, they're all song titles).

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    franticscribe likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I posted this on Facebook tonight. Some may disagree.

B.B. King was laid to rest today. Pretty sad one for me. I can think of only a couple of artists who had a greater impact -- Muddy Waters and Johnny Cash. In other words, there's a smoking crater left in American culture today. So, I'm knocking down a couple beers while shuffling through the library, remembering my favorite tunes. Shortly after moving to Mississippi as an early 20-something, I landed on a cheesy compilation album called, "New Millennium Blues Party." All the songs were great, but Track 16 caught my attention. I remember the night very clearly. It was the middle of a hot August night in 2001. I was driving on Hwy. 84 between Natchez and Brookhaven, Mississippi, when I heard, "The Thrill Is Gone," for the first time. Nothing but me, some guy named BB, the road and a pack of smokes (back when I did that). A very short time later, Ashley and I found ourselves in Northeast Mississippi, making frequent trips to Memphis (we could do that with no kids), hanging out in the alleys and bars on Beale Street. I heard for the first time an old black man play, "How Blue Can You Get," while sitting in an alley with my grandparents who were visiting for the weekend, and I was pretty much hooked. John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, King, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, Lightnin' Hopkins, Taj Mahal and Jimi Hendrix (see Jimi Blues for a better explanation) became regulars in my CD rotation. The Hendrix album even kept me sane on an island in the Indian Ocean for a few months in Ought 4-5. The King record I've listened to the most, however, was his work with Eric Clapton, "Riding With The King." I remember thinking it was cheesy at first, but later realized its significance. Tonight, "Live at the Regal," and "Live at Cook County Jail," are bringing back 15 years of memories. Wonderful, wonderful live music. "Cook County" has the best version of "Thrill," while "Regal" lays down the best, "Worry, Worry." I did a little digging today and found a recent Rolling Stone piece that outlined his best performances. Ashley and I were fortunate enough to see him in 2006, and I'll guaran-damn-tee you that he sounded in 2006 at the Gertrude Ford Performing Arts Center EXACTLY like he did on those wonderful 70s albums. Just listen.

B.B. King's 5 Greatest Live Performances | Rolling Stone

Vombatus, Riptide and FileNotFound like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Love "Riding with the King". I used to play that while cruising back and forth between LA and Ventura along the PCH. Had it on the "It'll Come To You: Songs of John Hiatt" compilation album by various artists, and I found myself playing that track over and over. Great stuff, tbf!

Draft saved Draft deleted