1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Thing' (the original) alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

One of the most underrated movies ever, and one of my favorites, John Carpenter's "The Thing" from 1982 on IFC right now.

Amazing thing about this flick was its special effects, which were done so well in the pre-CGI days.

Like the end Stephen King's story, "The Mist," from Skeleton Crew, I always wondered what happened to McGready and the other guy when the film ends.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's not the original. It's a remake.
    Love the movie, though.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

They freeze to death.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That movie freaked me out. The special effects are great, no doubt - but the slow build to all hell breaking loose was what made that movie.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

former co-worker used to swear that Kurt Russell was screen testing for a Jim Morrison biopic in The Thing.

You decide:
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4954503493191191&pid=15.1

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4982261858436671&pid=15.1

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

p

Great point, Buck. The original is also used in the original "Halloween" as playing on the television as Laurie is babysitting the kids, Tommy and Lindsey.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Kurt Russell version beats the hell out of the recent remake of it. I've seen the original, and I like the Russell version better.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agreed, on both counts, Joe.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They're both really good in their own way.

The 50s version has the whipsmart, quick dialogue and the freaky-ass theramin music. Excellent horror movie from that era.

The 80s version is John Carpenter's finest movie by far. Taut, scary, one of rare cases were the gore adds something to the film, and a great paranoia tale. The only knock is the ending is a bit muddled (apprarently some intended scenes were cut or never shot that would have smoothed out how they killed The Thing), but I'm nitpicking.

Haven't seen anything but a few minutes of the remake and don't want to. Isn't it intended as a quasi-prequel to Carpenter's movie?

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

My favorite part of John Carpenter films are the slow builds to fast-paced suspense. Plus, the music is always incredible (for its time) and you can't beat a Carpenter ending, IMO. The original Assault on Precinct 13 was really good.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

At the risk of a spoiler, liked that Wilford Brimley's character died, much the same way I'll sit through "The Firm" indefinitely until Tom Cruise kicks him a bunch of times.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted