1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've tried to watch a lot of classic games over the last 5 weeks. Football, baseball, basketball, boxing. The only thing besides this I watched beginning to end was Ali-Frazier I.

That totally kept my interest last night.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know it was only eight minutes, but they could show Hagler-Hearns during the second quarter of the Super Bowl and I'd watch it instead.

Dog8Cats, Neutral Corner and Huggy like this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Twice. Maybe three times.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a hearns- hagler on my dvr from this weekend.

FS1 is showing early 1980's This Week in Baseball on Saturdays. I've watched a few of those.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

All true, but Alford was his star player so it makes sense he kept him. As for Turner, there was one of the Sega NBA games where you could bring him off the bench for the warriors and he would shoot about 80 percent from the bottom corner on 3-point. Fleming...I have nothing on him.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Glen Rice pulled that crap one season in Charlotte. Knew his shooting elbow needed a procedure.

We all understand that players sometimes have a point in their stances, but IMO this is NOT the way to make the point.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Knight cut Barkley, who was the best player in the camp in '84, because Charles found Knight a comic figure and laughed at him, which Knight could not abide.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My wife saw Jordan play multiple times in high school. She said it was nuts. If it was a game people knew Dean Smith was going to be at to watch him, folks were hanging out of the rafters.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

The Bulls won six championships in eight years. Likely would have won more if Jordan didn’t retire to play baseball and if the Bulls had kept the team together after their second three-peat in ‘98.

10. Tweener

It will do well and for good reason. Still, I’m puzzled by how many are acting like they knew nothing about MJ until last night. There were some interesting nuggets but we’ve known he was really good for a long time. Some are acting like this is some revelation.

11. Tweener

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The takeaway for me...It wasn't a surprise so much because I was in my teens-to-early 20s for the 90s Bulls, but the idea that a General Manager is so eager to break up a team that was winning is such a dominant fashion is still beyond me. Krause wanted to break up the team after they went 72-10 and 69-13 and had to be dragged to let them go another season and win him another title. Shit like that would never happen today. Imagine trying to run Michael Jordan off your roster. That's crazy to think about, but in reality the Bulls retired him more than he retired from them (let's ignore the Wizards years for a sec).

Now the revelation that he wanted to trade Pippen for Tracy McGrady is interesting. Obviously Jordan wasn't having it because he wasn't going to win with a high schooler. But say they make it happen and Jordan does the strike shortened 1999 and 2000 season with T-Mac before bowing out. Krause might've looked like a genius and McGrady's career, as decent as it was, might've been much better with Jordan's foot up his ass all the time.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted