1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So noted.

(The Sondheim "online gala" was last night. Pretty hit or miss. Hence the mention.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As I’ve said, the Celtics comparison doesn’t hold water. Celtics players were evacuating a potentially hostile situation on the road while the Pistons were just being twats.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And McHale was practically doing everything but invite the family over for Christmas when he's talking to Thomas at midcourt.

4. poindexter

There are literally 10 hours of "Oh Yeah? Did Too!!" Sports Shouting shows on every single day now - when we haven't had a sporting event in 6 weeks.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think anyone has called it a waste of time, just asked if it's really worth 10 hours. It's OK to like something while also taking issue with it. I like baseball but think the games are too damn long.

Liut likes this.
  6. poindexter

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The game was a one-possession game in the final minute too I think. No one was leaving until they had to. Celtics went down by four with three seconds left and then walked off to avoid the crowd storm. The Pistons, on the other hand, were down by 20. Best part is still John Salley and Joe Dumars sticking around to shake hands in a great underrated "fuck you" moment to that team's leadership.

Best part of that was Bill Laimbeer trying to jump in and get a fist bump with McHale clearly trying to ignore him.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not to mention they had already stopped the game once with three seconds remaining to clear the floor of fans. Oh by the way, this happened three-and-a-half years earlier in Detroit when the Tigers won the World Series.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect I will still be able to enjoy it without the Ken Burns seal of approval.

Yeah, ideally it would be great if it was fully independent. Giving MJ the right of refusal was part of the deal to get the cameras in 22 years ago.

The key evidence of bias cited by the author is that Isiah Thomas and Jerry Krause don't come off well, which... yeah.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If I was Isiah, I'd stop trying to defend it.

I'd go with, "Yeah, fuck, we did it. It was 20 years ago! Move on!"

Like that SNL skit with Captain Kirk at the Trekkie convention

OscarMadison and poindexter like this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. Laimbeer is standing behind it, proud that he walked off. Laimbeer is the spawn of Satan, but I respect his willingness to own it.

Isiah spends too much of his life trying to convince people he's not an asshole, Sorry, we've got the receipts.

OscarMadison, Iron_chet, Liut and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted