1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The terrorists won

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

From DHS.gov (Dept. of Homeland Security):
    http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm
    The United States government's national threat level is Elevated, or Yellow.
    The U.S. threat level is High, or Orange, for all domestic and international flights.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks for the info. I never knew that.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's what gives them an excuse to go through all your stuff and feel you up -- you know, for your safety.

4. imjustagirl

Um, I've never been felt up.

EDIT: at the airport.

EDIT, 2nd add: by an airport employee.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed ... if, after 9-11, the citizens had not allowed the Bush administration to trample on our civil liberties, if it had not re-elected Bush, if they had not stood for us going to war with a country that posed no threat to us and not stood for us imprisoning "enemy combatants" without giving them some kind of due process and not stood for us becoming a nation that thumbs our nose at the Geneva Conventions and tortures people, then no, the terrorists would not be laughing.

They'd be saying, "What the hell? We blew up 3,000 of their citizens and took down some major symbols of their country and they still want to protect freedom? They still want to be just? What the fuck?" And then we would have won.

But we didn't. We - as a nation, not individually - got scared and reacted exactly as the terrorists hoped we would, which is why I say they won.

I should clarify and point out that there is room to change. Hopefully, with the next election, we will win back some of our freedoms and find a balance between them and security. Hopefully, we will no longer favor torture. Hopefully, we will get back our ideals.

Let's just say we lost a few games, but we can still make the playoffs. The season ain't over yet.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Really?

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I never have been either, but I have a friend who has (at the airport, by a TSA employee). I was, however, subjected to a leering "Damn, girl!" when I walked through the WTMD wearing a tight t-shirt, because they made me take my cardigan sweater off before walking through.

8. imjustagirl

Yeah, but you'd get that walking down the street too. :D

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Touche!

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Osama bin Laden is laughing his ass off. He goaded us into overreacting, and it worked. He's alive, and more than 4,000 American soldiers have died fighting a country that didn't attack us and had nothing to do with the attack.

As far as did the terrorists win? Just look at the word. Their goal is to spread "terror." Hell yeah they succeeded.

11. imjustagirl

Can we please move this to the politics board? This has as much to do with the terrorists as I do.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Be careful - talk like that could get you put on a watchlist. And then you probably would get felt up - at the airport, by an airport employee. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted