1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The terrorists have won (Metallica version)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hush James and Lars, dont say a word
    And never mind that noise you heard
    Its just Dick Cheney under your bed,
    In your closet, in your head

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

St. Anger was a huge come down for them. In interviews prior to it's release they made it sound like it was a good as the black album. Now if cops detained Hetfield for St. Anger, I don't have a problem with that.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Actually, when the members of Metallica asserted that St. Anger was "a return to the old days," they meant a little album called Kill 'Em All, not the Black Album. And after the horrendousness of Re-Load, which easily had five songs that should never have seen the light of day, St. Anger was at least an attempt to quit being "experimental" which of course is a synonym for "we're out of good ideas."

In the end, it had about four songs I really dug. The rest, eh. But they should have been detained by the law after thinking they had enough Load material for two albums.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

They get a pass from me since they did Master of Puppets, which is one of the greatest songs of all time.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

And the greatest thrash metal album of all time, maybe the greatest metal album of all time.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

The melting down of a great band, captured in real time in the documentary, was entertaining in a don't-look-away way. They've had a lifetime pass from me for about 20 years. ;D

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't really like Metallica, but they have a certain song that a certain closer for my favorite team enters to and because of that I like them.

8. Umm...Slayer's Reign in Blood is the greatest thrash/speed metal album of all time. Slayer also gets ginormous points for not pussing out like Metallica did. Evidence...a few years ago Slayer did a tour where they performed the entire RIB album as an encore. And as crazily fast as that record was when it came out in 1986 they actually played it faster live (even with occasional between song banter...I timed it).

And how long before someone makes an internet cartoon with an apelike Hetfield saying "Beard gooooooooooooood! Taliban baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!"

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I love Slayer, I love Reign in Blood. I would put it second, just ahead of the first six songs of Anthrax' Among the Living. 1986-87 was a hell of a time for that type of music.

But Slayer - a band who absolutely kills live - loses points for only having the ability to play at a single speed. What you call "pussing out," I call "musical diversity." At least as it applies to Metallica up until the Black Album. And, Metallica nailed Master of Puppets in its entirety live last year.

You know, the great thrash album from 1986 with songs longer than three minutes, and with lyrics you can not only understand, but which actually tell about more than one topic.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hetfield should have been charged with not making a decent album since 1991.

Metallica was one of my favorite bands growing up, but I don't know if any band has jumped the shark the way they did...

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There were a couple of decent songs on St. Anger, but the sound of that album - particularly the drums - makes it unlistenable for me. I also like some of the stuff on Load and Re-Load but, like Norrin said, there was loads of filler. It would have made one good album.

Oh yeah, and Metallica is still great live.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They've had a couple decent songs over the last decade and a half, but I can't think of a bad song on Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets or And Justice for All...

Their last signature song was 16 years ago...

Draft saved Draft deleted