1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tenth Inning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't someone already type that? :)

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Those are undeniably important points in baseball history. I'll watch docs on those way before I'll sit for "epic!!!!!" recaps of yet another 162-game season in which there are great hitters, great pitchers, a bunch of interesting rookies, and a couple of pennant races. Then a team from a somewhat-sizable market wins the World Series. Yay. That stuff happens every single year, which is why it's so mind-numbing to read baseball coverage. But the strike and the 'roids? Interesting and out of the ordinary.

Good for you. Your experience isn't exactly that of the average viewer target for a doc like this.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I missed the whole thing and forgot to even DVR it. Anyone know if it will be showing up on iTunes anytime soon? would make for airplane entertainment on my iphone.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think my experience, except for the covering events part, WAS that of the average fan. The fans know all this stuff. It's not like Greg Maddux was a secret, or that Barry Bonds didn't attract a great deal of controversial publicity in his heyday. There's nothing wrong with recent history as a genre. But the historian had better bring some new information to the table.

5. Piotr Rasputin

He did.

he had Costas and Verducci acting like they suspected steroids the whole time.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I think pretty much everybody SUSPECTED steroids, but chose to say nothing about it.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Check my new signature!

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

not a small market, but they are No. 2 in that city and quite a ways from No. 1.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Marcos Breton got more face time on Part I than any player did. It's funny, because if you're not a journalist or a former journalist, you probably have no idea who the guy is.

10. Piotr Rasputin

I thought the same thing. It reminded me of Doris Kearns Goodwin's extensive face time in the original.

Still, I enjoyed his recounting of how he had to rip his column down when the Giants blew the 2002 World Series.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Didn't Verducci write the first story that blew the door open? With Caminiti?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes. And then he gushed repeatedly over Roger Clemens' sterling work ethic and even participated in workouts with him, yet never looked inward when Clemens got busted and, in fact, managed to retain the pious "won't someone think of the game" attitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted