1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tenth Inning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Anyone else watch this tonight? Hit-or-miss from Ken Burns. Some predictable sap, a couple of great moments.

- Wow, that whole "Angry fans!!!!" things sure lasted a long time after the 1994-95 strike. Lot of integrity shown by those angry fans then. Whhoooo, went on for years! Until some dude played in a bunch of games, and the sheep started to return.
    - I believed then, and I believe now that it's a shame the owners couldn't have imposed the salary cap in 1995 and dared the players to stay away.
    - They harped on Joe Torre's tears of joy when the Yankees made the 1996 Series . . . but wasn't he also troubled by his brother's ongoing health problems as well?
    - I loved that they got Steve Wilstein to talk, and Howard Bryant said that the 1998 Andro story should have had legs, but the rest of the media killed it.
    - Also enjoyed Costas' and Verducci's mealy-mouthed attempts to act like they were suspicious during the 1998 homer chase. Laughable. They were as caught up as the rest of the media.
    - Liked the segment on the Dominican players.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

syrup season arrives early

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Haven't seen it yet, am waiting till I get home.
    But disappointed in Keith David as the narrator. Would have gone with David McCullough.
    Nothing against David, but McCullough passibly sounds like John Chancellor.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Lots of reporters realized they were suspicious of that break-in at the Watergate, too, looking back 12 years later. 8)

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Very interested to hear Wilstein's version. Shame he was treated the way he was though, just for doing his job.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trying to remember 1998 (the National League might as well be the Premier League when you're covering the Red Sox in Boston), there was SOME commentary when Wilstein's story came out that it was troubling McGwire was using that stuff, but not too much. I have always felt Bonds was often pilloried by writers for the sins of McGwire and Sosa those same writers had overlooked in their rush to get into the poesy of the game. Not that he didn't deserve every bit of it, mind you.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard Burns promoting it on Carolla's podcast a couple days back and it was enough to get me to set my DVR. Who the hell knows when I'll have time to watch it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Verducci knew though that Roger Clemens success was due to his training. We know that to be true because he wrote about not once but twice in S.I.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was disappointed, overall, although they provided better context to the whole steroid thing than I had expected.

10. cortez

cortez Member

I think I'm looking forward more to the just-found 1960 Pirates-Yanks broadcast than Tenth inning. And I enjoy all of KB's work

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was OK. David Keith did a good job of narrating, as usual. Should have touched more on the drug use of the 1970's and 80's.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He did. In the Ninth Inning, which aired 16 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted