1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ten Most Famous People in the World

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's Brahbrah.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I would also like to submit this list! :)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hu Jintao.

Come on, people. He's in his seventh year as the leader of 1.3 billion people.

I think most of these lists are way too North American-centric.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

To be fair, everyone's going to produce a slanted list based on their experiences, interests and surrounding culture, even if they don't mean to. I'm sure if we got a list from someone in India, there'd probably be some Bollywood and cricket stars that never would have crossed our minds. A Brazilian list would include the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka. And an Iceland list would be Bjork spelled letter by letter twice.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Just throwing out some more from the world leaders division. Ahmadinejad. Sarkozy. Gordon Brown. Merkel. Ban Ki-moon.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

1 and 3, yes. 2, a good percentage would get depending on the context of your question.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll echo the suggestion that many of the lists are too North American based.

I have no doubt that Michael Jackson was top 10, but I'll leave him off... seeing as how he's dead and all.

In no particular order...

Obama
    Queen Elizabeth II
    Michael Schumacher
    David Beckham
    Ronaldinho
    Fernando Alonso
    Michael Jordan
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    George W. Bush
    Madonna

More or less. Cristiano Ronaldo, Yao Ming, Jackie Chan, Oprah. I suspect there's way too much of the world that doesn't give a shit about golf for Tiger to be too high on the list -- I suspect a dozen soccer players could rank higher.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ronnie mentioned him, but Bill Gates is definitely one.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

To me, any sports star, past or present, doesn't fit the bill, because people's interests are so diverse that there isn't a universal agreement on their fame. For example, I'd never put Schumacher or Beckham on any such list, and there are others who are mentioned that I've never heard of. Same with entertainers. People's tastes are so divergent that you can't have a consensus of who's THE top 10 most famous. I think the following are 10 people that most everyone around the world in almost any context would recognize, either by sight or by the understanding of what they've produced.

1. Obama (Any current U.S. president tops the list, but Obama seems to have much more of a universal appeal than any we've had in awhile.)
    2. The Pope (Again, whoever sits in this office attains that stature.)
    3. The Queen of England
    4. The Dalai Lama
    5. Putin (I wouldn't quite say any Russian leader would fill the bill, but in the case of this one, yes.)
    6. Former U.S. presidents (As a group, they retain a certain measure of worldwide fame after they leave office.)
    7. Osama bin-Ladin
    8. Nelson Mandela
    9. Kim Jong-Il
    10. Bill Gates

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think there's any way Bono is more famous than Britney Spears.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. Between India and China you've got more than 1/3rd of the world's population. That's where these names should be coming from.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have never read about a lot of these foreigners on Perez Hilton, so I'm going to go ahead and doubt their fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted