1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tea Party's "Nixon in 60/Dean Scream" moment?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://clerk.house.gov/art_history/mem_bio/mem_pres.html

For history nerds, the above database shows every president or nominee or served in the House -- including John Quincy Adams, the only one to serve AFTER he was president.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That would be pretty funny if Minnesota's two senators were Bachmann and Franken.

3. Mizzougrad96

I think a couple went back to the senate after they were presidents.

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

No shot. Klobuchar would wipe the floor with Bachmann.

5. Mizzougrad96

I believe you.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just a couple of quick things. A friend of mine who works for a House leader told me straight up there are some other House leaders (majority party, elected by their colleagues leaders) who are completely scared of the Tea Party and will do whatever they can to placate them as a means for keeping power. If that means letting one of them give their own SOtU response, so be it. Better than splitting votes on the ballot.

And two, my friend has enough clout that while giving me and some friends of mine a tour of the House we got to hang out on the House floor (realllllly small compared to how CSPAN makes it look). Eventually we took a quick rest in the Women Member's Lounge and the couch I sat on to rest my feet was the same one John Quincy Adams died on after he had a stroke on the old House floor. Apparently that misogynist likes to mess things up in there because of all the women who hang out in there from time to time. At least that's one of the ghosts in that area, so it's said.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Klobuchar would, but Bachmann right now would be the Republican candidate, which is a rather sad commentary on the stable of options, or more to the point, the state of politics.

If it turned into a three-way race with a moderate republican taking votes away from Klobuchar and Bachmann running as an Independent, all bets are off.

8. Mizzougrad96

This is the same state that elected Jesse Ventura.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're probably not wrong on redistricting, but who do you think all the people moving are?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they're moving for lower taxes and better economic opportunities, they're probably more Republican than Democrat.

But, either way, the redistricting will take care of it. You put all of the Dems in one crazy, gerrymandered district, therefore increasing the Republican odds in all other districts.

I'm not in favor of gerrymandering, but that's what's going to happen.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think Bachmann thinks that whoever is the republican nominee in 2012 will look for a "Tea Party friendly" candidate as the VP in order not to split the vote, as you mentioned. I think she sees that as her big shot.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Strange things happen in three-way races.

It also didn't help that Norm Coleman fucked it up -'a vote for Jesse is a wasted vote' - and the Democrats ran a legacy with no traction whatsoever.

And Bill Hillsman. He did more to get Jesse elected than Jesse did.

Draft saved Draft deleted