1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TB passenger - a** or sympathetic?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baloo, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Baloo

Baloo Member

I apologize if there's another thread on this, but I looked and didn't see one... this is the most recent update, in case anyone has managed to miss it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tuberculosis_infection

I hope the guy recovers, but I think he is an a**hole. He was told while in Italy that he had drug-resistant strain and needed to be in isolation...so the guy goes to prague and flies to montreal. Way to consider your fellow passengers. The guy is a personal-injury attorney, which I find hilarious since his ilk no doubt are salivating at the lawsuits they can file against him for endangering others.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Should be put in jail.

3. Baloo

Baloo Member

agree, though i don't know for violating what laws. That seems to be a grey area. It's also very suspect that his whole reason for the trip was to get married, and now it seems that didn't even happen. If I were the bethroed, I'd wonder why my alleged beloved doesn't care enough not to expose me to really bad TB.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

He knew, and his father-in-law, who specializes in TB knowledge for the CDC, told him how to handle things. He chose to ignore it.
    Total a**.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A**. Big-time A**.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Being an asshole isn't illegal. He shouldn't go to jail for this.

He should have heeded the advice but I'm not surprised he did what he did. And I find it hard to believe all the people ripping this guy would put their "fellow passengers" ahead of themselves if indefinite quarantine in a foreign hospital was staring them in the face.

7. Baloo

Baloo Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't people been prosecuted & convicted for willfully & knowingly spreading HIV? This guy also put the health of others at risk after being informed of his condition.

8. The parent who took her vomitting/shitting kid to my daughter's daycare last Christmas without telling anyone - resulting in me, my daughter, my wife and sister in law all having to get treated at the hospital for dehydration - was an asshole.

This guy deserves jail time.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I think that the guy failed to act ethically, regardless of what the letter of the law might say. Ironic that he does personal injury. I wonder if he may need to defend himself someday in the near future.

I'm also interested in the border patrol agent who elected to ignore his computer prompts regarding the need for restraining this man for medical necessity.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Could this fall under the category of wreckless endangerment?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Fuck that guy. Lock him up.

12. Prosecute him to the full extent of the law.

Draft saved Draft deleted