1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Target stores credit card breach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 19, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Quick look revealed no thread about this.

I have been moderately inconvenienced -- my data was stolen, but I've seen no indication it's been used. But my bank replaced my card, my PIN (which I've had for 20 years) and now I'm having to replace my master password in dozens of locations. Did I say moderately? I meant holy-crap-what-a-pain-in-the-ass.

But at least I've received a year of credit protection from Experian. Or at least I think I have -- I jumped through Target's hoops, was approved, signed up at Experian this morning and now the website has crashed. And I've been on hold with them for 20 minutes. Not a good sign.

Target has long been my go-to place for home sundries. That's about to change.

Anyone else impacted?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I shop at Target, literally, every day.

That said, I'll act upon this when I see some indication that my information has been used, and probably not before.

The chances are just too small that I'll be victimized compared to the inconvenience of jumping through hoops over it.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My new debit card just arrived in the mail yesterday. I now have to figure out all the services I use with my credit card on file and change them. Uggh.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is why identity theft should be a capital crime. The inconvenience and destruction it wreaks on individual lives is off the charts, and there's little recourse for the victims. IF they're tracked down and caught, which is almost never, it's often treated as little more than simple theft. Meanwhile, the victims can spend years unraveling the damage.
    The scumbags who perpetrate this crime should be thrown into a slow-spinning wood chipper.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Time to reorder checks, I guess.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or have Target give everyone affected a 100 dollar gift card.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The last story I read, I thought they had traced this to Russia.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And Eastern Europe is hacker/identity theft central. Part of why it's so hard to do anything about it, legally. The domestic cases are hard enough to trace through the byzantine maze of the internet. Once you cross a border it's damn near impossible. It'd take a coordinated international effort to truly stamp it out -- similar to what was done with pirates in the 1600s and 1700s -- and that's not likely to happen. I don't think other countries are as affected by this, and none of them (ours included) give enough of a damn to spend the resources necessary to make that level of effort. They'll crack cases and investigate where they can, but the penalties for the crime are nowhere near heavy enough to discourage it. It's a million dollar, low-risk crime that, at worst, you spend a few years in jail for. For most criminals heading down that road, it's not only worth the risk, it's easier and more profitable than having the keys to a bank vault.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I graduated from law school, but never practiced. When people ask me what I learned in law school, I tell them, "never use a debit card for anything but the ATM." Even when you use your debit card at an ATM, make sure to look for evidence that the machine has been compromised. This advice is so cut and dry I still managed to learned it in a class taught by the hands-down worst teacher/professor I've ever had.

I can't explain how dumb it is to use your debit card for every day purchases. Get a credit card and use it exclusively!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/20/pf/expert/debit-credit-cards/

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm convinced.

I usually use the card as a debit, because I feel guilty that the store has to pay the 1-3% fee to the card company. Stupid, I know.

Now, I really know.

Plus, most places these days, if you're charging under $25, you don't have to sign and it's just as quick as an ATM.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They traced the malware to a 17-year-old in Russia.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/20/us/money-target-breach

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine, a sportswriter, had his information taken and used. They ran up $4500 on random charges from around the country and outside of the country. They're going to be reimbursed, but he said they had to spend hours and hours on the phone to get it fixed.

We have the Target card and we're canceling it and in the process of changing all of our banking information.

Draft saved Draft deleted