1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sunday DMN went up AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, May 10, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I just ventured down to the local convenience store and got even more sticker shock.

The Sunday DMN, which was still $1.50 barely a year ago, now costs $3 effective today. The weekday paper remains $1.

If they go up any more in price, the racks won't be able to hold all the quarters. But then again, nobody will buy the paper, so I guess it's a wash.

Surely it's only a coincidence that this is the week the Star papers begin cutting back on their pub schedule.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

It's free online.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Three bucks?

I thought it was bad when the weekly in my town increased its price from 50 cents to 75 cents a few months ago.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

What he said.

If the paper newspaper is truly the premium product, they might as well charge a premium for it. Gotta get some revenue somewhere.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had a hard time arguing my mom's hesitance to re-up at $30 a month when she gets less and less of a newspaper. i finally said well, is a dollar a day worth it to keep her morning routine going? of course i also told her to just not send in the check until they stop throwing the paper.

6. We stopped our subscription and kept getting the paper for weeks. Then they gradually cut back to several times a week, then twice a week. Hard to give up those circ numbers, I guess.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you let the papers pile up on the driveway for a week or two, the carrier usually will get the message and move on.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The Orlando Sentinel went up to $1 from 75 cents weekdays recently, six months after going up from 50 cents to 75 cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted