1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the sunday comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Glad to see someone mentioned Pearls Before Swine. If you haven't seen it, give it a read for a week or two.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Fox Trot and Pearls Before Swine both are outstanding.

The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were outstanding.

Dilbert and Zits are usually pretty good.

The so-called artists behind Family Circus and Brevity should have their drawing hands chopped off in a grand public ceremony. As a friend of mine once put it "Family Circus always sits there at the top of the page, waiting to ruin my morning. And I still always read it."

Edit: Oh yeah, Get Fuzzy sucks too.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nancy is a must-read for anyone wanting to know how Borscht Belt comics got their early inspiration. And some of the Nancy jokes are so bad that I can't stop laughing at them. For Better or Worse will always be a winner with me. Doonesbury has been suckitude ever since Trudeau returned from hiatus. And I wish Bloom County would return.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Bring back Calvin & Hobbes and Bloom County in syndication and it'll beat half the tripe out there right now. Heck, half the stuff makes me long for "Hi and Lois."

5. ARD

ARD Member

I'm a Bloom County fan, but I find it has not aged all that well. And Opus is a mediocre substitute.

Pearls Before Swine and Get Fuzzy have been slipping. Borrow or buy one of Pastis' first two collections and you'll see some brilliant dark humor. Now we get "zeeba neighbas" over and over. Not bad, but not nearly as biting as his early stuff. I liked the early Dilbert better, too, for that matter.

I'll be shocked if anything ever matches Calvin and Hobbes and/or The Far Side. Scott Adams' blog (which is a hoot) recommended Cow and Boy as a Calvin and Hobbes replacement (think Calvin and Hobbes, only Hobbes is a cow. Really.). Nowhere near the caliber of C&H.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK, well I thought the Aunt-Fritzi-as-hottie thing:

[​IMG]

was something new, but apparently not -- here's some old, OLD-school Aunt Fritzi, from 1948:

[​IMG]

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Greatest cartoon ever, because I made it come true the next day when I asked my friend's 5-year-old cousin the exact same questions about his t-ball team and got the exact same answers!

[​IMG]

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Minor threadjack: I was playing a drinking game the other night and drew a card that started "Rhyme time." First person to fuck up the rhyme has to drink. My friend's fiancee, who was sitting directly to my left, had been making me drink every chance she got. So what did I make the first line of my rhyme? "I love oranges." ;D

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Another vote for Nancy! My college pal and I used to laugh over that strip until we couldn't breathe, it was so inane. But then, so were our lives.

Gimme Peanuts, Andy Capp, Dennis the Menace, Hi & Lois, Tiger, Beetle Bailey, Mark Trail, Ziggy, Funky Winkerbean, Apt. 3-G, Brenda Starr, Hagar the Horrible, Bloom County/Outland, even Doonesbury before the Star-Ledger moved it to op-ed.

Also liked Boner's Ark. There, I said it.

Draft saved Draft deleted