1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sun-Times Lesson for all of us

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why do people seem to be surprised by that?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

What you said is pretty plain, so forgive the question: You're saying that by taking those off your taxes, you were ahead of taking dollar-for-dollar money on those expenses from the paper?

Something doesn't add up to me there, although my brain is trying.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You'll come out ahead on mileage, but only if your paper reimburses less than a quarter a mile. The IRS allows for, I think, 44.5 cents a mile now and that's pretty good.
    If you keep track of your mileage like normal, but don't turn in the mileage sheets and use them instead for your taxes, you'll for sure come out ahead.
    I never thought about other expenses. But it would probably help.
    I'd rather get reimbused for big travel -- airfare, extended hotel costs, meals -- though.
    I've been thinking about day trips, where in a sports guy's case, you leave the office to cover a game on Friday or Saturday and you stop for dinner or lunch. You wouldn't turn in that receipt, but you could keep it for the taxes.
    I'm assuming that IRS would allow it, that meal would be work-related expense, if you do enough of those, it would make a difference down the line.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I cringe every time I have someone tell me to cover other expenses by adding some mileage. I have always erred on the side of my own detriment where expenses are concerned. It's not worth the headache to have my chops busted about it, and it's certainly not worth losing my job over.

Draft saved Draft deleted