1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Student Who Lied Her Way Into the Devlin Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 23, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I need to understand when she became a 'correspondent' or freelancer for the Post.

Did she know going in that she was going to give it to the Post? Or did she go in as a student, and then realize later she had The Interview, and gave it to the Post? Does anyone know the answer?

And I should have asked this before: Would you have done it? Now, or as a student, whenever....you suddenly find yourself with unexpected access...what do you do?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

To me, if we're going to lie about what we're doing and who we are, than we'd better have a good reason. The Dateline stuff capturing child molesters qualifies as an outstanding reason.

This does not. What is the benefit from this article? Nothing. Novelist makes the great point. We can't hammer people like Nick Saban if we're going to be liars ourselves.

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

This thread is useless without pictures of said reporter.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why?

5. Scwibe

Scwibe Member

faking orgasms?
    sex toys?
    did the Post read those clips and decide, "Damn, we gotta send this girl into a jail?"
    (and do we have such links to her Wash U. ramblings, 21?)

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Personally I'd prefer that the news media be upfront at all times. But we can't say we've been constant in where we set the ethical bar over the years.

"Undercover reporting" has been in and out of fashion at various times. Some will remember that many newspapers lost their ethical qualms about this in the late 1970s, the most famous being the infamous "Mirage Tavern" sting in Chicago:

http://www.medill.northwestern.edu/spj/brownlee/2002/event20021011.html

I worked for a newspaper that did this kind of thing in the early 1980s; we had one reporter in particular who was adept at going undercover and getting stories when there was no other way to get them. This was always controversial, always there were journalists who thought this was disgraceful, but they were not exactly gasping in shock because there were a number of news organizations engaging in this. I am still a tiny bit torn because although the practice is a bit sleazy, it resulted in some great stories.

About the situation we're discussing here, I do shrug and think, "New York Post."

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just answered one of my own questions--she has a byline in the Post on Jan 14, about a couple of NY night clubs. So she already had that relationship prior to the Devlin incident. Boooooo.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saban didn't catch hell for uttering "something less than the truth" -- he caught hell because just about every single thing he said for months and months on end was completely fabricated bullshit.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not sure why, but I actually feel uncomfortable posting what anyone could find with some basic searching--I think she has enough problems right now. Seems she wrote music and sex columns for the Washington U paper....studlife.com.

I guess if you can give public advice on how to fake an orgasm, it's just a few short steps to faking your way through an interview.

10. Do you mean some people fake orgasms? I thought that was impossible.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Meg Ryan can.

12. You trying to tell us something about your S.O., buckdub? :) :D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted