1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Student Who Lied Her Way Into the Devlin Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But you don't know that, Michael. Maybe he had his reasons for not giving an interview to the Post.

God knows if I had an interview to give, I'd be more inclined to give it to a student newspaper than the freakin' Post.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Michael, That's obviously not true. If he's more likely to talk to the NY Post than a student newspaper, why would she have felt the need to lie (assuming she did lie wih intent, which we don't really know)?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

From a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter very much. A story like that is always going to make its way up the food chain to the Post. As I mentioned, even if it first appeared in the student newspaper, it would have been picked up by the local newspaper and the wire services. Plenty of people have interviewed people for little hometown newspapers only to see the interview go national within hours. Once you give the interview, you have little or no control where it appears.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I didn't keep score on who said what on the Saban threads, so I may be countering the wrong people here, but .... if we're going to hold public figures to the standard that anything less than the truth is worthy of eternal damnation, why would the standard be any different for a reporter? One of the things that bothers me the most about this line of work is knowing that people lie to me, probably on a daily basis. No way I'm going to promote lying as a desirable job skill.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hire her but she's got a future at the Globe or Inquirer.

6. She's probably hired already by the Post and will be covering the Clinton campaign.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

She must have just watched "His Girl Friday."

8. Re: "make its way up the food chain to the Post."

I'd hate to think what is down the food chain from the Post.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm no Rupert fan myself and, living in NY, I personally boycott the newspaper. But in terms of circulation and impact, it's WAY up on the food chain. I'd like to hear the kid explain how this all came down. Seems like there's still a lot missing.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The sewer alligators?

11. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

If we in any way sanction the actions of this young woman, we are making a statement that the media can't be trusted.
    What she did is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    No, I wouldn't hire her to do anything for a paper that I ran.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

novelist has an excellent point. I hope it doesn't get lost.

It's pretty hard to criticize coaches for dishonesty if we're going to pat someone on the back for, let's remember, a worthless story. Getting the guy's favorite video game isn't a scoop, folks. It's a MySpace list for an accused serial kidnapper.

Some of you people shock me. "Yeah I'd hire her." "Gosh, that's impressive."

Is that what journalism is to you people? Misrepresenting yourself to prisoners for their favorite food?

Draft saved Draft deleted