1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The strangest policy ever: "A strict no as*holes policy" in a job ad

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Baron Scicluna, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From J-Jobs. Not a sports job, but one line of this ad at the end, needless to say, caught my eye :eek::

Company: Alloveralbany.com
    Position: Information Omnivore Needed for Daily Metro
    Website
    Job Status: Part-time
    Salary: Commission/Contract
    Ad Expires: December 27, 2010
    Job ID: 1214833

Description:
    All Over Albany, a local website in New York's Capital Region, is looking to hire a part-time associate editor. The best way to get a feel for what we're all about is to peruse the site.

This is a contract job, originally slated to run four months. It could be extended based on how things go. The pay is surprisingly not bad.

The associate editor will do many of the things the original editors do: write, edit, moderate comments and develop ideas.

Here are the skills that you will need do this job:

+ The ability to write in a straightforward, engaging style.
    + Photo shooting and editing. You don't need to be Ansel Adams, but you do need to be able to use a point-and-shoot digital camera to take OK photos -- and use some sort of photo editing software to crop, adjust and re-size.
    + An eye for good ideas.
    + The ability to work quickly.
    + Familiarity with publishing platforms such as MovableType or Wordpress.
    + Facility with Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms.
    + Respect for the AOA crowd.
    + A sense of humor.

And here are a few skills that would make you an even stronger candidate:

+ The ability to edit and coach contributors.
    + Photo/image illustration -- because sometimes we like to photoshop cats onto skyscrapers.
    + Some facility with spreadsheets. We occasionally use them to wrangle numbers for charts, graphs, tables and light analysis.
    + Some familiarity with HTML and CSS -- we're not looking for a web developer, but knowing a few basics can help.
    + Video shooting and editing.
    + The capability to digest multiple, seemingly non-related foodstuffs over a short period of time -- for example: hummus, a taco and a fried candy bar. (Yes, the editors actually did that. No, they don't recommend it.)

The work schedule for this job will be somewhat flexible -- but there will be some time-of-day-specific work at least a few days a week.

This job will include deadline pressure. Sometimes those deadlines will be short.

This is a work-from-home/work-where-there's-wifi job. You must be the kind of person who can keep yourself on course.

AOA has a strict no-assholes policy.

Knowledge of the Capital Region is helpful, but curiosity and initiative are more important.

To apply, please send us your resume and links to your previous work. A few lines about why you might be good for this job would also be helpful.

editors |at| alloveralbany |dot| com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1214833

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I guess that'll save them money on bathroom expenses

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

So, are new employees given colostomy bags?

4. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

Rats. Looks like I'm DQ'd from contention already.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That's a shitty policy.
    I'm the asshole at my shop. I know it.
    I expect things to be done a certain way and if they're not, that's a problem.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Does that mean they have no upper-management there?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This guy won't be hired.

[​IMG]

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The concept comes from a book called "The No Asshole Rule."

My guess is that managers who claim they have no assholes in their workplaces are probably the same people who were telling you to "think outside the box" 15 years ago, "ramp it up" 10 years ago and "do more with less" five years ago. Same ass-fuckers, I'll bet.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Or three years ago: "Work Smarter, Not Harder."

10. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

"Work smarter, not harder" is an old saying. Certainly older than three years. I remember Scrooge McDuck saying that in Duck Tales when I was a lad. I always live by the gospel of Scrooge McDuck though he was hardly original.

11. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

A Duck Tales reference? Wow. That just made my day!

12. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

I am glad to be of service Mr. Hustle. I had the same affect with the Space Balls reference above.

Draft saved Draft deleted