1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Strangers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, May 28, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone going to see this when it hits theaters this weekend?

Some of my friends thought this about the Manson killings of Sharon Tate and two of her friends, but I found this site a few minutes ago. http://www.cabin28.com/

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It's supposedly based on that incident as well as the Manson incident. Creepy stuff either way.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Early reviews of it aren't good, but the trailers are freaky as hell.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's at 45 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

There's a better-reviewed French film from two years ago with a similar plot called "Them." It had a limited release last year but should be available on Netflix or the like. At first, I thought Strangers was a ripoff/remake, but it appears to be a bit different, although still based on a rural home invasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_%282006_film%29

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not for all the money in the world.

I still freak out over a not-scary movie that petrified me when I was like 7. No scary movies.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nowadays, such movies are not so much scary as they are just plain gross and gratuitous.

8. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

I saw it Wednesday night, and it was decent. Sure, it's no "Halloween," but it's better than most of the horror movies coming out these days.
    The best quality of the film is the killers toying with the victims throughout. That's the majority of the film. It's definitely not a slasher film.
    The one thing I didn't like was the over abundance of Liv Tyler screams. Geez, tone it down a little.
    I'd probably pay to see it. It wasn't bad.

9. dooley_womack1

Drawing out the inevitable instead of just getting it out of the way. Now that's life-affirming!

10. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

It's definitely not gross and gratuitous like Saw or Hostel.
    It's more of a psychological thriller.

11. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

Would you rather see a killing spree?

12. dooley_womack1

You've seen it, so I'll take your word on that. I'm just not a fan of extreme violence in films. It mainly pisses me off that extreme violence gets an R, and sometimes a PG-13, while extreme sex would get an NC-17. Fucked-up priorities

Draft saved Draft deleted