1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Strange Desire To Mythologize Derek Jeter Above All Things

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Two journalism pieces on last night worth discussing.

Matt Yoder.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/this-adam-wainwright-thing-is-the-dumbest-sports-controversy-of-the-year-for-so-many-reasons.html

Will Leitch.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/84875254/derek-jeter-adam-wainwright-2014-all-star-game-groove-pitch#!bfLPWc

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A big thing with this is that Fox Sports and Jeter ran parallel lines in ascendancy.
    They are business partners.
    Last night's gratification is a reflection of the worst side of our popular culture- narcissistic, decontextualized, brainless.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I really don't know how to feel about this.

I'm also curious how big of a story this becomes.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Journalists" getting upset at this need to take a good, hard look at themselves.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wainwright gave the AL last ups. OMG!

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Jeter Farewell Tour (TM) reeks of flop sweat.

ESPN and FOX are nervous because there isn't another MLB matinee idol wearing a Yankees or Red Sox uniform on the horizon (those are the only two teams that matter, really).

So they'll milk this cash cow until it runs dry.

7. Double Down

The issue that Leitch raises, that journalists saying Wainwright should have "kept his mouth shut" is a totally legit one, I think. Wainwright is one of the better quotes in baseball, in terms of frankness and honesty. Wishing he'd help sell a myth is bizarre.

8. MisterCreosote

How many of them helped sell this myth?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree, but focusing on this draws attention to a couple things.

The players (for the most part) don't care about the outcome of the All-Star Game.

Derek Jeter is old and needs a pitcher to groove a pitch when going against top competition. (I'm not saying I agree with that.)

The reality is probably closer to this being the ultimate tribute by Wainwright, who wanted to see Jeter do well, but it's not much of a tribute if you tell people you did it.

10. MisterCreosote

The worst thing Twitter has done to journalism is make reporters think their unsolicited opinions matter.

It's different if you're paid to opine. But if you're there to cover the game, cover the damn game and STFU.

11. Double Down

I think a lot of people were skeptical, and said as much at the time, although one very prominent person — arguable the dean of them all — more or less gave it his blessing, and that was enough for the issue to essentially go away. Right?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As much as mythologizing Jeter, this is about continuing to mythologize the All-Star Game itself. Everyone has gotten behind the idea that the outcome has so much meaning, but I think it's because most of the people writing remember this as the Midsummer Classic of their youth, and it's the middle of July and this is important and we need to derive some higher meaning from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted