1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The StoryCorps Project

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Jan 17, 2008.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm reading the book "Listening Is An Act of Love," which is a compilation of personal narratives from the StoryCorps project. You've probably heard some of the StoryCorps narratives on NPR or on a podcast, or if you've visited Grand Central Terminal in New York you've seen the StoryCorps booth.

I cannot put this book down when I'm home, and I can't stop listening to some of the touching stories that people tell, from one woman who went through childhood obesity, to another who proposed while he was telling a story about his late father. I haven't brought myself to listen to the stories from 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina yet - I don't have any tissues handy.

But I'm reading or listening to the stories that people tell and really, it makes me wonder what my life is worth or how and if I have asked my parents and my husband and my best friend the right questions about their lives. That's the hardest part of understanding what a great book this is.

Anyhow, enjoy. I'm sure with our collective background in journalism we can appreciate the simple art of asking questions.

http://www.storycorps.net/listen/

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I thought my father was god was excellent, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted