1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Story of Glemie Dean Beasley, Detroit's Urban Raccoon Hunter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I will not be going to this man's house for a barbeque any time soon.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"Coon or rabbit. God put them there to eat. When men get hold of animals he blows them up and then he blows up. Fill 'em so full of chemicals and steroids it ruins the people. It makes them sick. Like the pigs on the farm. They's 3 months old and weighing 400 pounds. They's all blowed up. And the chil'ren who eat it, they's all blowed up. Don't make no sense."

Great quote.
  3. JR

JR Active Member

Great but depressing story.

Detroit was once home to nearly 2 million people but has shrunk to a population of perhaps less than 900,000. It is estimated that a city the size of San Francisco could fit neatly within its empty lots. As nature abhors a vacuum, wildlife has moved in.

A beaver was spotted recently in the Detroit River. Wild fox skulk the 15th hole at the Palmer Park golf course. There is bald eagle, hawk and falcon that roam the city skies. Wild Turkeys roam the grasses. A coyote was snared two years ago roaming the Federal Court House downtown. And Beasley keeps a gaze of skinned coon in the freezer.
  4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've had barbecued raccoon before. Pretty tasty.
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Turkeys were probably someone's pets. You'd be surprised what people keep.
  6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They could be wild ones, too. I don't think I'd seen a wild turkey in Michigan until a couple years ago. Now they are everywhere and I see them all the time. If there's food, they'll find a way. There's a lot of pheasant inside Detroit, too, I hear. All those lots with tall grass are perfect cover, and there aren't nearly as many predators as in the wild.

What Detroit should do (which means it would never do this) is to trim its borders back and let that land revert to the original townships, or be part of smaller cities that might be able to provide some services.

But it won't. And the reality comedy/tragedy show that is the Detroit City Council will keep running.
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the voters of Detroit have nobody to blame but themselves.
  8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't know the Dearborn's and Grosse Pointe's want that land.
Draft saved Draft deleted