1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Steroid Culture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Mar 11, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just got done reading what I thought was a great piece by McCallum on steroids in America.

Any thoughts, other than Creamora*?
  2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just started reading it...

Eh... I don't know if I like where this is headed. Botox = Roids? Really?
  3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it's pointing out that American's are a nation of users when it comes to looks, and HGH/Steroids are a further extension of that. They're not equal, obviously, but as you move progressively down the line you go from Botox and plastic surgery, and further down the line you get to the people using HGH/Steroids.
  4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't care if athletes use steroids or not. Frankly, I believe the hysteria over steroid use has been incredibly overblown. I'm sure that a 16-year-old taking anabolic steroids probably faces some serious health issues, but for a world-class 30-year-old athlete taking hGH is probably not taking a big risk. At least, not bigger than playing football.

The evidence that the new designer PEDs are really harmful is quite lacking.
  5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's like saying that a new drug introduced without FDA approval isn't harmful -- because there isn't any evidence of it. Of course there isn't any evidence if there hasn't been enough research. Same with steroids.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I've been saying for years, this is a societal problem that has worked its way to sports, not vice versa. I'd wager that Congressional zealot Henry Waxman's district -- including Hollywood -- probably has the highest per capita usage in the country but he's so focused on baseball that he probably hasn't figured that out yet.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

What was the point of that story? Oh yeah -- Chuck Zito says if you're a youngster, don't do drugs. And, gets his picture in the magazine.

Coincidentally runs in the Big Event-lacking period after the Super Bowl and before March Madness. What a joke.
  8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously? The point of the story is that HGH and Steroids, if you consider their usage to be a problem, is far greater than just MLB and NFL players using them.

The numbers of people, you know, non-athletes, using either of them to me is staggering.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I agree.

Make equipment as standard as you want, but if people want to shoot up with steroids, I say let 'em. Die early. Become sterile. It's your life. And parents, it's your job to teach your kids not to use them.

It's no secret that tennis players are bigger, and racket technology helps them hit the ball harder.

So what if baseball players are bigger, and steroid technology helps them hit the ball harder. Is the difference really so great?

What does it say when a player can undergo LASIK or Tommy John surgery, but if another player injects some juice he has done something "unnatural" to his body and his accomplishments are forever tainted?
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Having LASIK or Tommy John are procedures done to cure something that is wrong with you. Sure, we could just let the pitchers leave their tendons torn to shreds for the rest of their lives, but that doesn't sound like such a great idea. LASIK is just a more permanent form of wearing glasses.

Both are intended to restore you to a more natural state (while LASIK can give you better vision than you ever had, as I said, they accomplish approximately the same thing as a good pair of eye glasses or prescription goggles. You don't think Chris Sabo wishes they had LASIK back in the day?).

Steroids are intended to help you perform past anything you would be able to accomplish without them. Therein lies the difference.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The bigger question for the people who say, "Let them do it and let's just accept it,"--and this is a legit point of view, even if I don't agree--is where do you draw the line? 25 years from now, when Cyborgs made out of bionic parts are making up major league rosters because they can hit the ball farther than more mortals on steroids, will we have THOROUGHLY destroyed everything that made sports fun -- the fact that anyone with natural ability could compete? At one point are we taking the human qualities that made sports fun for many of us in the first place out of the game?
  12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

They're already being taken out, not only by PEDs, but also by parents willingly shoving their kids into year-round leagues at early ages, spending scads of money for something already overtaking their schooling before they hit single digits.

If you really want to solve this problem, you have to do one of two things. Either take out the economic incentive to reward PED use (i.e., the lure of multimillion contracts), or legalize everything and make it FDA-regulated, and get people under the care of a doctor so they at least don't kill themselves or cause themselve undue harm.
Draft saved Draft deleted