1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Steinbrenner Moment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Half of the big duo . . . Born Liar and Convict . . . we'll be here, through Thursday.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I assume he was talking about on the field success. Business-wise, there's no argument.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But of course, business model's worked great. You keep making October, and the Big Apple will keep coming back for more.

But, artistically? They're blocked. They're not winning the WS this year, which leaves them another year older, and fatally-flawed at multiple positions.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Meant to mention this in my last post, but to me, Willie McCovey being confined to a wheelchair at age 69 due to diabetes is far sadder than Steinbrenner's condition.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd guess it was his idea. And even if it wasn't, the moment was for him, not for the fans.

6. He looked old, but I don't know how you can ascertain he has deteriorated just by watching him being driven around in a golf cart.

If anything, he looked like he was crying behind those dark sunglasses. Must have been an emotional moment for him.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

From what I understand, George wanted that moment. It was the first time he has been seen in public in a long time and, while we've known he was ailing, no one knew how bad. It was probably his swan song in public and it apparently was the way he wanted it.

And Steak, I also felt bad watching McCovey. I am glad he was able to stand and wave, however.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think he learned the "dark glasses to hide the tears" trick from Billy Martin.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I found it a tad surreal. Maybe it was the sunglasses or maybe the scarf but it had a distinct Godfather feel to it. I was waiting for Whitey Ford or Yogi to kiss George's ring.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What's Howie Spira up to these days?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I also found it odd that Buck/McCarver totally glossed over Yogi hugging and kissing Steinbrenner. Yogi wouldn't step foot in Yankee Stadium for almost 15 years because of George.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Is Girardi Fredo? Tune in, tomorrow . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted