1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Steinbrenner Moment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jul 16, 2008.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Arte Moreno's in the mix.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm a die hard Yankee fan and I don't think that it waa a great moment. It seemed almost contrived like the Yankees were trying to recreate that Ted Williams moment.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

So isn't Bob Kraft.........if I were a Yankee fan I would LOVE Steinbrenner for the reasons Big Chee said.

I can only dream someone like Steinbrenner would buy the Boston Bruins....

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He has staged the multi-decade textbook labaratory case for fantasy-baseball lineup construction under the direction of those with a football mentality.

And excepting (and, yes, these are big exceptions) the Reggie and Mariano eras, it hasn't worked. . .
    in that, you can make the playoffs, by spending a zillion dollars on hitting . . . but you need better pitching to wrap your arms around all of it.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Marge Schott is in the mix of the fan's best owners for our generation? Yikes!

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Marge was a complete disgrace who got lucky. George made winning an obsession and backed it up with huge investment.

7. Schott was good at the beginning .. but then she went too far.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

AGREED.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It was sad to see how much his condition has deteriorated, but that made it all the more poignant. Even the golf cart, though inelegant, was kind of appropriate since he used to ride them all the time around the Yanks' spring training complex. That may be why it was chosen instead of, say, a convertible. It was kind of awkwardly staged, but I didn't think it was a whiff at all, and for most Yankee fans, I'm sure it was quite touching.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Absolutely and to my knowledge he doesn't have the kind of tyrannical (and criminal) downside that Steinbrenner has, either.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know ... based on all the rumors I'd heard and read, Steinbrenner actually looked better last night than I thought he would.

He'd gone really gray, which was a surprise, but it's not like he was Ali at the 1996 Olympics ...

Of course, he was sitting down the whole time and didn't speak, so it was hard to tell.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What do you mean "it has not worked"? By almost any metric he has run a highly successful business.

His attendance has doubled in past 10 year and the value of franchise has tripled.

Draft saved Draft deleted