1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The State of the Union is ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is pretty funny:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100127/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_state_of_the_union_missing

You know how one cabinet member stays away from the SoTU speech in case there's a catastrophe? Well, Hillary is going to be in London & won't be present at the speech.

So her people "inquired" if she could be the "official" cabinet member to skip it. She was told no, as that person must be in the U.S. -- to ensure we have someone here & in charge, I suppose.

But there's a little part of me that wonders if the request scared the shit out of Obama's people. Would she go all "Michael Corleone" on them in an effort to gain power?

And yes, I'm being ridiculous, but it still made me laugh a little to imagine it.

2. YankeeFan

Wait, this has to go through Congress? I thought he could do it by executive order too.

His own party is going to freak out if they have to debate this in an election year.

They want to be seen as, "solving people's problems," and as much as this may be worth doing, no one is going to see it as a priority vs. handling the economy, creating jobs, etc.

3. YankeeFan

Here's CNN.com's story:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/27/obama.gays.military/index.html

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Go with the baby blue Louis Vuitton.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it doesn't look good, he can always blame George Bush.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Constitutionally, as Secretary of State, she'd still assume the presidency because State is the more senior cabinet post.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, if something were to happen, I can't imagine she'd react well to the knowledge that Hilda Solis or someone pulled a Haig and usurped her authority.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

Seems like he could do it through executive order. I don't feel like googling it at this time, but didn't Truman desegregate the troops through executive order? As the commander in chief of the military, it wouldn't seem he'd need Congressional approval to end DADT.

And the left might be appeased a little by the end of DADT. But there are a lot of people on the left who aren't happy about Evan Bayh's "rush to the middle" ideas, considering it's been the left -- not the middle -- that's been giving ground on every major piece of legislation since Obama got into office. If all the Dems get out of this past year is Lilly Ledbetter and an end to DADT, well, there's no way to spin that as success.

9. Football_Bat

The way I understand it, DADT was enacted through a congressional vote, therefore it would take congressional action to undo it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. DADT is law now. Congress must change it. Obama could issue an order forbidding discharges of gay servicepeople, however, and he should.
    2. Weird fact about State of the Union addresses revealed by Gallup. Presidents since WW2 did NOT see their approval ratings go up in the immediate aftermath of the speeches -- except one. Bill Clinton's approval number went up an average of 3 points after his SOTU addresses, and he gave seven of 'em, so it's more than a blip.
    Figure that out, you have a future in political science. It beats me.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From the CNN story, DADT was introduced by Clinton in 1992 via executive order, but codified by Congress in 1993. I assume that means Congress has to modify the law in order for it to be changed.

12. Football_Bat

Ding ding ... except for the 1992 part since Bill wasn't sworn in until 1/20/93.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.