1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The State of the Union is ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

How many of the fine newspapers represented on SportsJournalists.com are doing the obligatory "local reaction to State of the Union speech" story tonight?

At my shop, we're calling it the "find someone who actually watched it scavenger hunt."

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'll tell you this much: If by some mathematical miracle the Republicans get 51 Senate seats starting next year, they're sure as hell going to be acting like they have a majority. And as was the case during their last reign of error, any attempts at filibustering will be met with loud shouts of obstructionism! and up-or-down vote!

The Democrats can either play by the cuddly, friendly, bipartisan set of rules that really only apply to Democrats, or they can get things done.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Our deadline is 10:45 p.m. EST. Would never fucking happen.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We're going to have an online video link to one of the local performance arts school students interpreting it in mime.

6. YankeeFan

MSNBC is saying that he's going to announce an end to, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," tonight.

I'm ok with that, but doesn't this seem like a desperate bone to throw to the left because they're upset with how things are going?

He could have done this at any time? Was he just keeping it in his pocket until he needed it to please the left?

And people who want him to focus on the economy are going to look at this as a tone def response to what they're telling him to work on.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That would be a real good head fake if he does make that announcement.

8. YankeeFan

I've got to imagine it's in the speech if MSNBC is reporting it. The whole thing should be released -- under an embargo -- to the press soon, but I'm sure their leaking snippets to friendly media as we speak.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the local teabag clubs (i.e. the Screeching Monkey Society) is holding a "State of the Disuinion" party, and of course newsside is sending someone to take down quotes.

The idea of sending someone to the local MoveOn/Obama "viewing party" was laughed off, "because we know what they're going to say."

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In their defense, if someone says something that has the Secret Service in town tomorrow morning, at least you'll have been on the scene.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

CNN also reporting this, citing 'a top official.'

More important, though: What color tie will the president wear? I'm feeling a strong sense of blue.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For some reason I thought he could do this by executive order. As he actually has to get it through Congress, I'm not sure I like the idea of spending some of the limited capital he has left.

But at the same time, this needs to happen. And if the Democrats are (were?) smart, they'll find a dozen or so highly qualified translators, bomb detection experts, etc., who've been drummed out of the military for no reason other than they're gay, and they'll let the Republicans try to justify why it's OK to put the rest of the troops in harm's way for the sake of maintaining old prejudices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.