1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The state of newspapers today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My jolly stat for today, read in Ad Age this morning. The number of employees at U.S. newspapers is at its lowest level since 1968. That's 40 years. For a nation with 40 percent more people in it, for businesses that are trying to present themselves in two entirely different mediums. Surprise! It's not going well.
    I have been reading the trade papers of a lot of different trades for a living lately. All the bosses in all of them are sure the Internet will make them big money. Few to none know how, when, or why. It isn't just newspapers. Believe me, there are worse things to own than a paper. A record company, for instance.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Really, it seems like it's anyone in content distribution (I know, a demeaning term, but it's the best I can think of at the moment) who is struggling to figure all this out. You can criticize newspapers for being defensive and not sensing the Internet's possibilities, but the truth is that even now everyone is still trying to figure out how people use the Web, and how they can be advertised to -- and how to adjust to the fact that how people use the Web seems to change by the month.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... and that everyone I know who uses the Web absolutely despises Internet ads.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm one of them. [/sjsubscriber]

Draft saved Draft deleted