1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The state of music today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Dec 19, 2007.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Good music is harder to find these days, but it's there if you search for it.

It's been touched on already, but record execs strive to create that "catchy" sound and hook so listeners will add it to their iPod and/or buy the album even if every other song is terrible. There is a great deal of quality out there, but it's typically not going to be played on mainstream outlets. XM Radio/Sirius are good starts, as is scoping out your local music scene and listening to some college radio.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think the fact the 70s/80s/90s thread has page upon page of replies speaks volumes of the music then compared with now.

That said, Oasis is the best band in my lifetime, and I can't imagine enjoying a band in the future as I do Oasis, though they also go back to the mid-90s.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm 35 and I've never heard of any of those five bands.

Then again, I don't listen to the radio so I'm not exposed to much new music.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i think you're all just a bunch of fuckin' geezers. there are more good bands and more ways to find them than ever

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yup. That about sums it up.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is that why nobody knows any of these "good bands."

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, really, the reason nobody knows them is that we don't go looking for them. I really believe that now.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shottie - i think you're jumping on a train that's not leaving the station. my parents knew who in the hell pink floyd was, they knew who the eagles were, fuck they even knew who david lee roth was by sight and by name. the douche bags of today are nameless, faceless fucks in the midst of the information age for a reason.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maybe.

Maybe it's because three of every four videos I trip across is rap.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and that should tell you something.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

During the summer, a crew renovated one of the apartments near mine and listened to (start DJ voice) "Today's best hits!!! (end DJ voice). Of the four songs I listened to while lounging in bed, three were remakes. That tells me there is very little originality going on out there and does not bode well for the state of music.

Thanks, American Idol.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And that reason is, the record companies have no interest in pushing anything but hip-hop and rap because (a) it's cheap and (b) it's easy to pander to a ready-made audience by loading a new artist's debut with familiar names as "featured" artists. That's one reason why the labels will be dead and gone in a few years.

Believe me, I understand the impulse to write off today's music. I'm 40 years old and dislike 99% of the stuff that gets any kind of airplay.

But great music is out there. It's just isn't delivered to you anymore. You have to find it.

Draft saved Draft deleted