1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The state of music today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Dec 19, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying my tastes lean toward the alternative end, not so much the classic rock stuff, but I think most of this should have some fairly broad appeal.

The BellRays - basically a rock band with a soul singer, and really damn good:
    Tell The Lie -

Highway to Hell (live in some bar) -

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - an old-style soul band. The Dap-Kings are the band on Amy Winehouse's album, but I'll take Sharon over Amy.
    Dropped in to See What Condition My condition Was In -

100 days, 100 Nights -

Arcade Fire - Hot band of the moment - Springsteen & the Foo Fighters have both covered "Keep The Car Running" live
    Keep The Car Running -

Rebellion (Lies) -

Wilco
    Jesus Etc. -

Impossible Germany -

The Big Lie - They put out possibly my favorite album of 2007. The band has never actually performed together - a group of acquaintances recorded this album by recording their parts of the songs in their homes, then shipping the hard drive to someone else to record their parts. The end result sounds like Cheap Trick mixed with Queen and God knows what else, but I really like it.

http://myspace.com/thebiglie

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

knew i'd help some other old bastard out in the process. :D

and guys, thanks so much for your time. ... if i ever can tell you how cool the brian adams/journey was live in concert in the tacoma dome (again), just yell my way.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Timeless... the music, not the video

Probably needs mentioned that possibly the greatest television show of the past decade (hell, ever) spent it's last four minutes with Journey blasting.

Draft saved Draft deleted