1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The State of Book Publishing....New York Magazine article

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by JR, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I put this here as opposed to Anything Goes or Sports and News because the folks who are interested in the biz will find it soon enough

As the article points out, people have been predicting the demise of book publishing since Gutenberg but this time, it's more than Chicken Little talk.

Solid article. Nothing revolutionary but a good take on the industry that I grew up in.

http://nymag.com/news/media/50279/

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Remain calm. All is well.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

In the NY Times today, and also last Monday, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is temporarily suspending acquisition of new books. Although they are the only major publisher to make this announcement, they will not be the last, as many major publishers have already been (quietly) cutting way back for the last few months. Now granted, HMH has an awkward ownership structure, but for those of us who write books, this is canary in the coal mine stuff.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

More carnage at HMH. The publisher just resigned and a reported "ton" of people were just fired.

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

Also big cuts today at Random House and Simon and Schuster. It is being called the "Black Friday of the Publishing Industry."

6. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Fuck. Shit. Fuck.

That's all I got.

Draft saved Draft deleted