1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stare Down: T-Paw vs ESPN/ABC Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

In keeping with our stare down theme of late..

T-Paw is using footage from the 1980 Miracle on Ice game in one of his spots running in Iowa. The "Do you believe.." call as well.

The spot:

His campaign did not seek nor obtain permission from the rights holder.

Who blinked? I am stunned:

Over footage of the United States hockey team beating the Russians in the 1980 Olympics, Mr. Pawlenty narrates a television advertisement in Iowa this week: “Out here, you’re tested. You face an opponent experts say can’t be beat. You fight. You bleed. You prevail.”

The message is meant to portray him as the scrappy underdog after he has been overshadowed by the sudden surge of Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and has registered disappointingly low poll numbers.But that defiant image was somewhat undermined when a rights manager for ABC Sports on Thursday told The Des Moines Register that the Pawlenty campaign had improperly used the "Miracle on Ice'' Olympic footage and lawyers would be in touch.

Later a spokesman for ESPN, which oversees ABC Sports, retracted that threat and indicated no legal action would be pursued. "Neither ABC nor ESPN has asked the Pawlenty campaign to remove any footage from their video, although neither ABC nor ESPN licensed the video to them or authorized its use," the spokesman, Chris La Placa, said in a statement.

At least this is on the record, though:

His older brother Dan, who has been traveling with him, recalled the former governor's career as a youth player who learned on a pond at 4 or 5 and played forward on the junior varsity South St. Paul Packers.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/pawlenty-hits-the-ice-and-scores/

I wonder if he pays for music he downloads?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Speaking stare downs -

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the IOC have something to say as well?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it . . .

5. Machine Head

That will be the next spot.

T-Paw will dress up like Brooks.

They'll riff off T-Paw's "I shut down a government and won" crap from the first spot.

WON WHAT, TIMMY? BILLION DOLLAR DEFICITS? YAY!

Btw, having met Brooks, a stare down is not something you'd want to get into with him.

RIP.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I'll ram that god damned Koho down your throat, three!

RIP, indeed.

7. Machine Head

That clip is out on youtube. I thought about posting it.

Edit: NSFW Language

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Bonus points if you can find Garrison Keillor comparing Walter Mondale and Norm Coleman to lunch choices at the St. Paul Grill.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe he should try this as his theme song:

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If you knowingly allow someone to use your copyright without licensing them to do so, then the argument can easily be made that they just waived their right to enforce copyright on that particular clip for anyone into perpetuity. They better either license the use or ask him to cease and desist.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I thought this was going to be about one of the Klitschko brothers. [/crossthread]

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

KOHO? In SOTA?

Puh-leeze... Christian....

Draft saved Draft deleted