1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Starbucks thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I saw this and thought of our "Seattle, Portland or Vancouver" thread, which details the insanely high cost of housing in all three cities.

Seattle's geography is part of the problem; the Puget Sound and the mountains make a very narrow strip of buildable land for an area with such tremendous job/population growth. It forces all the affordable housing to places far north or south of downtown Seattle, making people who already pay way too much of their income on housing spend another big percentage of their earnings on transportation.

The Washington Post article makes a good point: deciding who should pay for the costs of growth is an ongoing problem across the country. Seattle's rapid rate of economic development just makes its situation more desperate.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hope everyone has fueled up, as today is the day Starbucks is closing early for training.

Meanwhile, you can't even deny service if your closed, without risking an incident, and getting fired.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You must have a full twitter list of poor, oppressed white dudes whining into the ether. That guy's timeline is a hoot.

6. YankeeFan

Are you familiar with how twitter works?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Quite. And yet I don't seem to stumble across the obscure dudes whining about how mean minorities are.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Google engineer is listed under the "You may also like" function on that feed.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

I came across it on Dan McLaughlin's feed.

He's a right winger, but he's not a nut.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You show that you're closed to any new customers by locking the doors. Then you finish serving whomever is left in line.

Then you let them out one by one as they finish. I know it's a tough concept to grasp, but it works in some places. :cool:

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure those place has no problem paying overtime to these employees. Or paying for cabs should they miss a bus, pay for additional babysitting etc.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone should have been fired -- why is that ALWAYS the play? -- but it's pretty fucked up to decide that the person who was there at 9:04 gets served but the person who was there at 9:06 doesn't when the door is open for both.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted