1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Starbucks thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have no idea.

Do you?

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This traffic/homeless problem was solved in April 1998. Nobody would listen.

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 2.56.38 PM.png

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Know"? No. A pretty good idea. Yes.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OK, you're probably right. But the story you linked said Santa Monica has enacted this and that, and it still doesn't work. Do you think homeless should be living at the library? That's what has happened.
    I have a good friend who's father was the pastor at a prominent Lutheran church in SM since it was founded. My friend was still on the board of trustees after her father's death, but the church has changed so much, she can't even go there anymore. According to her, they sectioned off half of the sanctuary and given it over to "homeless UCLA students."

I'll leave with that.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Please feel free to share them.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No one should be living at the library.

There's money being appropriated at the local, county, state and federal level to ease this kind of problem.

But California beach communities have been fighting the same battle since the beginning of the steam age.

7. doctorquant

Because every dollar SM spends on making it better for homeless people makes SM an even more desirable location for additional homeless people.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That certainly seems plausible. And a Catch-22.

But the homeless are already a constant in the beach cities, and have been since the railroads started bring them west. They're already here.

So given the choice between housing them in a shelter that provides some range of services and letting them take over the library, or accost people on the street, or stab you in the neck at a restaurant, we're gonna go with "there's no solution?"

9. doctorquant

You asked why they won't enact any of the solutions. I told you what I suspect ... the people doing the paying see whatever's being proposed as throwing good money after bad.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I understand that.

But having never tried it, how would they know?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted